Lavender patterned Isabel duckwing barred - lavender brown cuckoo barred - project and genetic dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
The oldest hatchinglings have grown nicely! It seems like you are right about another big hatch in order to get more of the double barred males. The light lavender color definitely make it harder. I love the Punnett square !

So here are the splits:

In these photos some of them may even look a bit lsabel, but I think it is a trick of the lighting.....and the camera
Here are the Isabels from this hatch:

and 15 eggs didn't make it.

So my hatch rate was somewhere in the 60%'s. One egg is still in a little incubator. -- At least two of the Isabels will probably go with the splits - because they aren't exhibiting the Wild Type that I'm looking for.

It is a bit of a relief to unplug and start cleaning up the incubator -- the suspense is ended I guess. All in all -- I'm pleased with the outcome.

Here are two things I found FWIW.

1. When I was looking into type, I did some reading on the Australian Leghorn site. Someone was talking about their birds/hatches and they said that they were trying to grow their birds big and fast, and upped the protein in their diet -- and it resulted in too large combs. This is kind of surprising in Australia and UK their ideal types of Leghorns have much bigger combs than the ones in the USA. Never before had I heard that feed makes combs big. (type of feed that is).

2. One of my Brinsea Mini incubators has gone haywire. The temperature doesn't correspond to what is happening inside. That is the one that the turner works, -- the one that the temperature works, the turner is broken (go figure) -- So on their site they sell a replacement turning motor. (Oh, really?) - it's something like $19.00, so I figured I would try it out. Then I was looking through all the manuals to see if they had infor posted about how to swap out the motor -- because although the fan is just a plug in -- the turning motor looks like it is a wiring job. Oh Joy.... I found this information in one of the manuals -- and it really makes more sense to me now after this incubation than it did when I first saw it some years ago. You can go to Brinsea.com and all their manuals are listed there -- infact they have a lot of good information -- and animation of the 21-days of chick development is pretty enchanting...Here's the info

15 Troubleshooting
15.1 Poor hatching results are frustrating and can be caused by a large number of factors. The most common are given below. Brinsea
00ae.png
Products will not be held responsible for loss of eggs or chicks under any circumstances. However we will try to advise on incubation technique to improve results where necessary.
15.2 Gather as much information from the hatching results as possible to enable the problem to be analysed in detail. Record dates that eggs are set, incubator settings, dates of hatches, weight losses and the number and condition of hatchlings. Candle or break open unhatched eggs to estimate the extent of embryo development. The Brinsea
00ae.png
OvaView or OvaView High Intensity candling lamps are available from your dealer.

1) Clear when candled - probably infertile (or very early death)
when candled at 8 days
2) Fertile with red blood vessels - after 8 days
3) Red or black staining - early death when candled at 8 days
4) Embryo with red blood ‘ring’ - early death when candled at 8 days
5) Dark outline with ill defined detail - late death (10-16 days)
6) Live embryo with bill in air sack - due to hatch in 24-48 hours
7) Normal development of the air pocket according to number of days

If it is unreadable, you can go to http://www.brinsea.com/Manuals/MiniAdvancePlus-US.pdf - and it is on page 16 of that manual......

So next time for me, lower humidity....

barnie.gif
That is how I still feel reading here!!!!

LOL

All the babies look great!

I need to come spend a few hours with you...
So you can explain this all in person.

I'm still
idunno.gif
<<feeling like this little guy! lol

barnie.gif
That is how I still feel reading here!!!!

LOL

All the babies look great!

Thank you -- I'm now looking for homes for the split babies.... And they ARE so cute...they have a lot of variety in that little bunch don't they.
I need to come spend a few hours with you...
So you can explain this all in person.

I'm still
idunno.gif
<<feeling like this little guy! lol
Don't feel bad that you feel like that little guy -- in some ways it's like learning a foreign language -- AND it just takes time and eventually it will fall into place and make some sense -- little bits at a time. Just the fact that you are following along says something - because it probably isn't for the faint-hearted.
old.gif

When it stops being fun --- it's time to take a break. (even a looooooong break). It will be around forever and no one knows everything about it. Luckily we have really giant and knowledgable people who write thier books, design websites, make blogs, invent chicken calculators --- Like Sigrid Van Dort, Grant Brereton, and Brain Reeder and Henk Meijer -- because they provide tons of information - I'm just beginning into genetics -- so in some ways, I can provide the beginner perspective -- but in some ways -- I haven't got answers --
so I'm just like that little guy too on LOADS of stuff.

I need to come spend a few hours with you... So you can explain this all in person. I'm still :idunno QUOTE] Agree with Kathy. When I got my first ebook of poultry genetics, I had hard time stay focused and absorbing the information I was reading. I didn't give up, just kept reading again and again, then suddenly all started to make sense and you understand almost everything:D Kathy, it is such a warm day, almost too warm. My dwarf mulberry trees/brushes are loaded with big berries. I wish you are near to share with you.

Last edited:
Agree with Kathy. When I got my first ebook of poultry genetics, I had hard time stay focused and absorbing the information I was reading. I didn't give up, just kept reading again and again, then suddenly all started to make sense and you understand almost everything:D

Kathy, it is such a warm day, almost too warm. My dwarf mulberry trees/brushes are loaded with big berries. I wish you are near to share with you.
Those are gorgeous! -- I did get 1 strawberry today from my bedraggled plants from last year. I think if I could just remember to give them some water it would make a difference. It did seem to suddenly get hot today didn't it. Wham....it's here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom