Lavender patterned Isabel duckwing barred - lavender brown cuckoo barred - project and genetic dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I had a bad round of cocci go through week before last. I lost 7, but none of the Texas babies. Everything was going fine. I go out this morning and there are 5 dead, 3 isabels and a split, and my blue cochin. I'm guessing it was an ambitious snake because some were wet on the head/neck. The cochin was a broody baby, the biggest, so I know he wasn't affected by the cocci. The others seemed to have good weight. I was spitting mad. I think I only have one pullet left in the isabels. :hit

:wee
Eggs!

The oldest 3 project pullets are all laying. Infact for 3-days in a row, all three produced eggs, then they took a day off, then all three produced eggs again. Color? Well, see for yourself:
P1060468.JPG

Pretty nice eggs.
The picnic table they are on is white -- so this image is a bit blue-ified. (does the table look a little blue to you in this shot? -- maybe it was because it was the 'magic hour'.)
As kikisgirls sig reads..."I just wanted eggs".
ETA -oops, just looked above to see it's changed - it used to say that. ;O)

The phone app reads the color out as hex #7199ad, calls it 'Shakespeare/blue" and read it as Red 44% Green 60% Blue 67%.
http://www.color-hex.com/color/7199ad
probably the third or 4th swatch on the right if you start counting on the white swatch which is hex #ffffff as you can see.
Not bad for beginners.:yesss:
The left-most egg is from the split, and looks greener to my eye (they all look greener when in a different light and off the picnic table...LOL...) Saturation is pretty nice. Strangely the left most is from the split that was raised by the banty - do you think her mom taught her to lay smaller eggs?
:lau

She's been at it a couple of months now. She's the one that produced the huge first egg that was a double yolker and a bit later she produced the triple yolker. She is just going to be a smaller, greener egg-layer I guess.

Not bad little pullets, not bad. Meanwhile, everyone else (just about) is taking time off possibly due to the heat.
remove color cast eggs.jpg

Here are the same eggs, with a photoshop edit to 'remove color cast' - for people familiar with image software. Put the eyedropper icon on the picnic table and say this is 'true white' - and it adjusts the colors accordingly. Picnic table looks a bit yellower/beiger -- and that is probably closer to the visual color of the eggs. You can see the table doesn't look blue.

Last edited:
Very pretty eggs!

(I did just want eggs in the beginning of my chickens keeping...I now am on a whole new level of chickens keeping..I want to know EVERYTHING chicken related!)

Moi?

Yesterday, I lost a rooster to the heat. Blame myself for not protecting him better. The female that was in the same pen/coop with him seems okay. He was a mean old Legbar -- and luckily when one went broody -- two CL males were hatched June 10 -- so in the pipeline I have replacement male for the CL flock.

Meanwhile, I'm counting the days until it is past the 'worst' of the heat. Our heat index is triple digits daily.

How's about you?

Just as bad up here in MO.
93° to 98° for the next 7 days.
Predicted heat index up to 109°
Had to turn a bunch of breeders loose to free range. Getting just too hot for my breeder pens in the barn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom