Lavender patterned Isabel duckwing barred - lavender brown cuckoo barred - project and genetic dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ames-on-eggbid-i-have-questions.123517/page-6

Above is a link to a thread on BYC about Opal OEGB. Very cool birds. Looks like in 2013 they were accepted as a new variety of OEGB. Congratulations. That thread has pictures AND -- a painting by Ron Smith. A very different look from the one we are aiming for, I believe.... we are going for lavender + the cream hackles + the color I'm going to call peach on the wing triangle...and maybe even another more saturated but dilute color on the shoulder of the male's wings.

For female -- the pale pink breast, lavender barring markings on tail and hackles and the cream colored hackles IMO.... quite different from the Opal OEGB coloration.

Henk particpated in that Opal thread and helps determine it is a different gene from lavender.

Yes, opal is a different gene from lavender and a different coloration from what you are going for.

Hello there Jacqdiva, in down under.... sheesh -- when I was 11-years old til age 13, my family lived in Brisbane (St. Lucia) -- and the second year we were there my brother and I attended St. Peter's Lutheran College as boarding school kids. (Indooroopilly) It's funny because SPLC was a bit like Hogwarts - school uniforms, the girls wore neck ties in their Sunday dress uniforms etc. -- that was sooooooooooo long ago though. Loved it. The money in those days was pounds-shillings-pence, I think now you have Australian dollars. The ferry boat across the river cost 1 pence. The bus was -- 3 pence I think -- and I think there was even a little tiny coin that was 3 pence. Walk home from school and spend your 3 pence on an icecream, or ride the bus. I think the tram was 6 pence and the train was 8 pence for every station...so 3 stations would be about a florin for the ticket. Ask your grandparents about the 'good old days'. I never want to go back to see the modernization of Australia- when we lived there, it was before Brisbane had TV. Way back in the day. I loved it. But I digress.
Oh, and I'm watching the series 'Miss Fischer's Murder Mysteries' on Netflix - Melbourne in the 1920's. 1929 in the recent episodes I'm seeing.

My knowledge of Silkies is less than zero. Here is a guess. I'm pretty sure that lavender silkies are available...that would probably be your starting point. Then cross with a barred or cuckoo bird OR cross with a duckwing bird. If silkies come in that color you are closer - but if you have to outcross to a different breed, then you will have many crosses to get there.
If you start this project -- best of luck. Post any pictures of your journey here that you wish!
:frow
ETA - I guess actually you would speed your process up if you crossed lavender with a gold-crele. That bird would have both barring and duckwing.... There are gold crele OEGB here in the USA. None of your first generation would show lavender, but they would be split for lavender. Breed thoes to each other, and select the lavenders and the barred. Silkies are really way more complex though aren't they? 5 toes instead of 4 toes, black skin, And the feathering is recessive -- so you would appear in your first generation to loose that furry silky-look.

If you are familiar with Classroom in the Coop website -- that's where the genetics experts hang out -- and they may be able to give greater/deeper insight.

Last edited:
How would you do this in silkies? I've heard of them, but never seen any.

There are cuckoo, lavender and Partridge silkie.
I'd work with those three.

@ChicKat
Those boys are bad *ss
;)

There you go!! Thanks The Moonshiner...one of the things I love on BYC is that people freely share knowledge of things I don't know

For Jacqdiva then -- A). breed lavender to partridge -- to go in the direction of Isabel Silky -- and later add barring to Isabel like we're doing.... Or, B). breed barred to partridge to get Crele silkies -- and then to your creles add lavender or if you want to do two tracks simultaneously -- get Isabel Silkies to breed to Crele -- If you are ready for a challenge there is one right there.

Last edited:
one of the things I love on BYC is that people freely share knowledge of things I don't know

Great isn't it. And its fast too. I sometimes wonder if the younger ones here know how great it really is.
When I was young and first getting into trying to breed and show i remember writing people the old fashion way and waiting a week or more just to see if they would take time to help a young newbie with questions.
If those old timers could sit down write a letter, pay for a stamp and mail it back then I don't think it should be too much for us to sit down and share when BYC makes it so easy for us to do so.

;)

There you go!! Thanks The Moonshiner...one of the things I love on BYC is that people freely share knowledge of things I don't know

For Jacqdiva then -- A). breed lavender to partridge -- to go in the direction of Isabel Silky -- and later add barring to Isabel like we're doing.... Or, B). breed barred to partridge to get Crele silkies -- and then to your creles add lavender or if you want to do two tracks simultaneously -- get Isabel Silkies to breed to Crele -- If you are ready for a challenge there is one right there.

This is so interesting! Thanks Chickat! Do you need to have barring in Isabel? What would happen in Lavender over Buff?

Hello there Jacqdiva, in down under.... sheesh -- when I was 11-years old til age 13, my family lived in Brisbane (St. Lucia) -- and the second year we were there my brother and I attended St. Peter's Lutheran College as boarding school kids. (Indooroopilly) It's funny because SPLC was a bit like Hogwarts - school uniforms, the girls wore neck ties in their Sunday dress uniforms etc. -- that was sooooooooooo long ago though. Loved it. The money in those days was pounds-shillings-pence, I think now you have Australian dollars. The ferry boat across the river cost 1 pence. The bus was -- 3 pence I think -- and I think there was even a little tiny coin that was 3 pence. Walk home from school and spend your 3 pence on an icecream, or ride the bus. I think the tram was 6 pence and the train was 8 pence for every station...so 3 stations would be about a florin for the ticket. Ask your grandparents about the 'good old days'. I never want to go back to see the modernization of Australia- when we lived there, it was before Brisbane had TV. Way back in the day. I loved it. But I digress.
Oh, and I'm watching the series 'Miss Fischer's Murder Mysteries' on Netflix - Melbourne in the 1920's. 1929 in the recent episodes I'm seeing.

My knowledge of Silkies is less than zero. Here is a guess. I'm pretty sure that lavender silkies are available...that would probably be your starting point. Then cross with a barred or cuckoo bird OR cross with a duckwing bird. If silkies come in that color you are closer - but if you have to outcross to a different breed, then you will have many crosses to get there.
If you start this project -- best of luck. Post any pictures of your journey here that you wish!
:frow
ETA - I guess actually you would speed your process up if you crossed lavender with a gold-crele. That bird would have both barring and duckwing.... There are gold crele OEGB here in the USA. None of your first generation would show lavender, but they would be split for lavender. Breed thoes to each other, and select the lavenders and the barred. Silkies are really way more complex though aren't they? 5 toes instead of 4 toes, black skin, And the feathering is recessive -- so you would appear in your first generation to loose that furry silky-look.

If you are familiar with Classroom in the Coop website -- that's where the genetics experts hang out -- and they may be able to give greater/deeper insight.
No way! We lived for a few years next to the Indooroopilly train station. Would you get Isabel if you used lavender over buff?

Great isn't it. And its fast too. I sometimes wonder if the younger ones here know how great it really is.
When I was young and first getting into trying to breed and show i remember writing people the old fashion way and waiting a week or more just to see if they would take time to help a young newbie with questions.
If those old timers could sit down write a letter, pay for a stamp and mail it back then I don't think it should be too much for us to sit down and share when BYC makes it so easy for us to do so.
I'm actually born and raised in Brissie! That is so wonderful you shared that fact here, otherwise it would have just gone unsaid. Can't BELIEVE you went to school in Indro!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom