Lavender patterned Isabel duckwing barred - lavender brown cuckoo barred - project and genetic dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
:celebrate
P1060840.JPG

:yesss:
That little guy right there.... based upon my years with Cream Legbars is a double barred male. He's IT.
:ya
:wee
P1060838.JPG

Here's the whole crew
Here's another view of 'Mr. Right'.
P1060839.JPG

So, here we are LPID-B-DF.
Lavender patterned Isabel Duckwing Barred dual factor.
Wow
:th
knock me over with a feather.

There is one chick in the incubator and two eggs, one egg of which may still make it. The one chick was really glued into the shell and couldn't move -- so I pulled off the shell...it had pipped and was stuck so couldn't zip and was calling for help. When I know that the chick is glued in -- I think that is incubator/operator malfunction and not necessarily a sign of a chick that was too weak to hatch. But the poor chick was completely glued -- as some of the above chicks are that I probably popped into the brooder last night. Because of that, I think that their down doesn't fluff, and they die of chilling. So the baby glued IN, I put in a bath of hot water and tried to dry off as best I could with paper towels. then thought that the incubator may be a better place to be hoping it doesn't get chilled.

Temps last night were 28-degrees....so the air itself is quite dry and cool.

Although I'd said 20 went to lockdown, it was 24. With the bowl of hot water there to wash the glue-baby, I float tested the remaining eggs. One sank to the bottom, two showed no movement and two moved, one sort of. One of those two was the same one that looked some days behind the others when I candled for lock down. My thinking is that the incubator I have doesn't heat evenly and these two that weren't as far along had been in a cool pocket. When chicks hatch these eggs were getting knocked to the edge of the incubator up against the walls, as the new hatchlings paraded around.

You can see another chick in the batch with a white head spot -- but I think that chick, although male, and although barred may carry two cream genes -- I hadn't factored THAT into the equation when I was projecting that 25% of the hatchlings should statistically be my goal for the males.....LPID-B DF
Here is what the chicken calculator says that these chicks should grow into regarding phenotype:
upload_2017-10-29_10-5-57.png

So you see:
  • half the pullets should be barred, half should be regular isabel without barring.
  • All the cockerels should have at least 1-barring gene and
  • half the cockerels should have two barring genes.

But, if the parents each had a recessive cream gene....then they could have produced a chick with two cream genes - and as a result very diluted reds. Not the aim for this project at all. The goal is the more distinct and saturated definite Isabel coloration along with the barring.

So to get a chick with zero cream genes..... I think would be 1/3 of the 25% -- some may have two cream genes, some may have one and some will have none.
If I'm ultra lucky, this guy will have zero cream genes and can grow to show the plumage of LPID-B dual factor.

Here is some added information from the chicken calculator when I put the a cream gene on each parent:
View attachment 1172871
Not sure if you can read it -- but the target chicken, male without cream is a 1/16 chance and a 6.25% statistical possibility..... (Glad I didn't know those odds going into it!! ) --
I still have no clue what any of this gene stuff means but I am so excited you got Mr. Right!

I love them all.
Congrats!

I think I see at least 5 girls!!!
Probably you are right. Except for the definite headspot males, I would be really reluctant to make any guarantees. :rolleyes: From this hatch I think I am only going to overwinter 4-5 chicks.

Have actually had some chick deaths. That is something that never happens to me -- in general. Think I lost a beautiful blue Isbar chick long ago -- it also was possibly dropped.

four of the 19 have died. Not sure if the cold snap that made such a difference in the ambient temperature and the brooder-heater had anything to do with it, or some tie in to the MS or -- just that I have been lucky before and always had much smaller hatches -- except for this spring and summer when I got the bigger incubator. :confused:
One of the dead chicks, I think was smothered. One didn't seem to be able to open its eyes and while I was holding it it wiggled out of my hands and did a header on the concrete floor from about shoulder height. One I think had pasty butt. Yesterday I cleaned up a pasty-butt and that one was dead this morning. Sad isn't it? And just now I worked on two more that could be boarder line pasty-butt. Hope that they are alive tomorrow morning.

Earlier, I'd said that I would post some pictures of males -- for comparison-- color and body to Camping Shaw's. Today I had some rain -- so put up the netting fence. Twin-line cockerel and his girls got to go outside and play in the grass:

P1060848.JPG

P1060854.JPG

Okay, and here is one of his girls throwing her weight around and fence fighting:
P1060852.JPG

Attachments

• P1060836.JPG
    P1060836.JPG
    792.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Sorry about your babies. Might try adding vinegar to their water and upping their temperature to help with smothering and pasty butt

Sorry about your babies. Might try adding vinegar to their water and upping their temperature to help with smothering and pasty butt
Thanks for the good advice! Definitely think that there is a water link. All seem ok now, and they have an 'electric hen' so I don't have control of the temperature.....It's up to them. There were some cold nights there, and now looking at forecast, no nights below 50-degrees forecast thru mid-month. Just cleaned/changed brooders today -- the other one had a bigger area for chicks to snuggle under.
These chicks are 1/2 frog. If they want to go someplace and another chick is in the way they hop over.
P1060856.JPG

Tonight, I may split them between two brooders. They are getting bigger - but along with that they are getting less fragile/older.
P1060855.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom