Lavender patterned Isabel duckwing barred - lavender brown cuckoo barred - project and genetic dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
One of Jim’s sons has dark blue in the wings, but not the dilute. It’s the prettiest thing I’ve ever seen.
6164C8EB-50DF-48F8-80DC-57C5E55C1A83.jpeg
C3CA9958-E583-4CFD-8363-91CD3ECFA7EF.jpeg

@ChicKat
I'll have to look and see if I have much worth taking pics of.
If you remember my project for this thread was cuckoo Xs Isabella.
I crossed an Isabella rooster over cuckoo hens. Got black pullets and cuckoo cockerel. Bunch going on with them. Father is gold based, wildtype, lavender. Mothers are silver based, extended black and barred.
That makes the pullet chicks gold, extended black/wild type split to lavender.
Cockerel chicks are silver/gold, extended black/wild type, single barred and split to lavender.
Thinking I need to hatch a ton just to get any single barred lavender gold duckwing.
Think possible chicks can be...
Pullets
Lav Isabel duckwing
Lav Isabel duckwing barred
Lav silver duckwing
Lav silver duckwing barred
Solid lav
Barred lav
Gold duckwing
Gold duckwing barred
Silver duckwing
Silver duckwing barred
Solid black
Barred

Cockerels
Lav silver/gold duckwing
Lav silver/gold duckwing barred
Isabella
Isabella barred
Solid Lav
Barred lavender
Silver/gold duckwing
Silver/gold duckwing barred
Gold duckwing
Gold duckwing barred
Black
Barred
Hatched two chicks couple weeks ago. One is barred and the other is a keeper. I'll see about pics of it.
Looking to keep and work on....
Lav gold duckwing barred
Lav silver duckwing
Lav silver duckwing barred
Lav
Barred Lav
Gold duckwing barred
Silver duckwing barred
Of course that's going to be more work then it sounds.
Some will be homozygous and some heterozygous for different things.
Its cool though. Take two patterns cross them then spin it into 7 different projects.

When posts come into this thread, I'm not getting notified. :O(

So catching up just a bit--
This photo by Campingshaws:
c3ca9958-e583-4cfd-8363-91cd3ecfa7ef-jpeg.1250584

Besides that gorgeous feather sheen -- (Is that the color that 'black' in ths show chickens should be? A green sheen-- versus a maroon sheen)-- These two cockerels exemplify the effect of barring -- To my eye it looks like they have the same underlying pattern.
Moonshiner --
20180131_175146-1-jpg.1251876

:love

Love this mixture of lavender and that peachy-salmon color on the secondaries of the wing (or is it a "trick of the light"?)...do you know gender of that chick? Beautiful. Really like your dark pullet too.

All the projects... I would have to sit with the chicken calculator to know what percentages of what you will get with those many many genes. Some of your results could be something like 1 in the thousands. It's great what you are doing.

Oh- RiverOtter -- I know another factor that can affect the distribution of pigment in the feathers...and this one is not good. High stress can cause white feathrers. One of my Legbar pullets as a chick was on the porch in a regular old rabbit hutch at the ranch. Raccoons came up during the night and it seems that one had chased them to the opposite side where another one pulled a head through the 1" square harddware cloth. I think two were killed and one pullet had her wing ripped off through the hardware cloth. You could see raw bone. She recovered - amazingly - and some of her subsequent feathering grew in pure white. Should be that to recover the pigment distribution factory shut down and only the survival mechanisms continued to work in her body. She was a wonderful chicken. Come to think of it -- not in my line but in some others I've seen a white wing feather on a legbar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom