Lavender patterned Isabel duckwing barred - lavender brown cuckoo barred - project and genetic dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
This project is a great example.
I can't really speak for others but seemed like the goal was to take the legbar which has some great qualities like the blue eggs and autosexing and add a new color/pattern.
It started with a legbar crossed with a leghorn.
Just keep the legbar pretty much intact and bring in the lavender from the leghorn.
With projects you figure out what you want, what you need to use to get what you want , what it will take to get there and what it will take to breed true.
There can be more then one way to get there which makes it fun.
I know for some it was to get that lavender in the wild type pattern and keep the autosexing. So it was a matter of bringing in the lavender and also get the barring on the same bird. Then to the next step of getting males double barred so they would breed true and be autosexing.
Color/pattern was the focus and bring the blue egg genes along for the ride.
I saw it different. My thought was the color was easy or for me color is easy. From the start I saw color secondary with priority on egg color as I saw that as the biggest challenge. I started the same project but just because of the challenge of egg genes I scrapped my project to focus on others.
I know one breeder crossed the two breeds so they had offspring that had the duckwing pattern, barring and were split for lavender as well as split for blue eggs.
They bred for color so crossed offspring back to the leghorn so the offspring would be 50/50 lavender/split for lavender. That got the highest percentage of lavender and then all that was needed was to bring the second barring gene to the males to complete the project.
I would of "bred for the blue egg genes". I would of crossed the offspring chicks together. That only gives 25% with lavender but it would of give 25% offspring with two genes for blue eggs, 50% with one blue gene and 25% with only white egg genes.
I would hatch as many as I could and kept what I could use color/pattern wise but focused on egg color.
Same as doing the other way is wait till they sat after laying. Some would lay white eggs so those would go. Others would of been a mix of blue egg layers. 1/3 of those would have two genes for blue and 2/3 would have one gene but lay blue eggs.
In theory the ones would only one gene should lay a lighter blue egg so if check for deepness of blue and move forward with just the darkest blue egg layers.
The other way of crossing back to the leghorn would give more lavender but with the offspring split for blue/white eggs crossed back to the leghorn would produce 50% with white only genes and 50% with one of each gene.
You would not get the mix of both kinds of blue to maybe be able to compare them and you would be moving forward with just split egg gene birds so still not getting anything that could breed true for all blue eggs.
My next step would be to continue on with test breeding just to be sure and since roosters don't lay its all you can do.
Is separate everyone so I could keep track and breed to leghorns or any pure for white eggs.
If you hatch enough and get any offspring that lay white then if know that parent carried a white egg gene. Since blue is dominate a parent with two blue genes would produce all chicks laying blue eggs when crossed with white egg breed.
I could always pick up the lavender color along the way. It would probably take longer and id have to be more careful because is end up with split for lavender and some that didn't carry lavender at all that I couldn't tell about but I should get enough lavender with enough chicks hatched to make progress.
My way would be breeding for blue egg genes.
As you see it would be a bit of a pain with hatching a lot of chicks and waiting for a couple generations to get to laying age and then test breeding and keeping those to laying age.
That might make sense of why I decided it was more then I wanted to continue with at that time.
Also you can see how the same project can go different ways and end up at the same place.
For me worrying with color more then egg genes would stretch it out a lot longer by going back to leghorns and back to white egg genes.
You have to get pure for blue eggs to breed true for them so that has to be an end goal however you go about it to have this project be successful.

:goodpost:
Thanks The Moonshiner Poultry!

You took some real complexities and made them understandable. Bravo.

CJWaldon on BYC has achieved the blue-egg Lavender (aka Opal) Legbar. As Moonshiner suggested everyone has different priorities and hers was blue eggs. CJ also kept the crests on hers...so it is a true lavender Legbar.

On mine, I ditched the crest, because of what the crest does to combs on males. Also egg color wasn't a priority for me...but since blue is dominant as Moon said, all but one of my current layers lays a greenish blue. The greenish crept in because the Isabels laid a 'tinted' or off white or even pinkish egg which is very pretty.
My legbars give me pretty good blues -- although my 6-year old and my 4-year old are totally slacked off and maybe retired forever from egg laying (spent hen) --- And the other legbar I have left is brooding so her hormones are surpressing any egg laying for now.
Just put her outside lastnight. The welded wire is 1x3 about, and if I don't cover the whole little run with bird netting - a snake could get in. Lastnight she didn't even go in the pod but kept the chicks under her in the run.
P1070481.JPG

Instead of the hardware cloth chicken house they were IN inside a chain link 'dog kennel' --- they can now get bugs, play in the grass and scratch. One baby is already a natural at dust baths - take a look:
P1070480.JPG

Not even 24 hours out doors and they are right at home.
Today's heat index is supposed to be 103 - so I need to get a run cover. This is one of the original Eglu's that you can't even buy in the USA any longer....Maybe can't even buy in England. They are SO durable.... Wonder how long it will be right sized for mom and 6 chicks.

So just as a summary and to reiterate some of the things Moonshiner said... It is the careful selection for the traits you want that get you to your goal.
For this project it was the plumage LPID-B (Lavender patterned Isabel Duckwing Barred (dual factor)) as the top priority. Reason for that is both the appearance and the autosexing.
This hatch everyone of the chicks were reliably autosexable via Head spot for male and sharp dorsal stripe and head-V for female. The males are also definitely lighter in chick down.

The single barred version is fairly reliable autosexable if you know your line and their traits -- I think all the guesses I had in the past generation before these were on target.

For this bunch to have blue eggs -- the going forward strategy would be the bluest of the eggs only selected for hatching....

As I said, I almost would prefer the tinted eggs -- or a mix, because I like to know who lays which egg-- so my Iris out there lays tinted and everyone else blue-green. True green from my Isbar -- and blue from Legbar.

An interesting piece of trivia, the leghorn that lays white, may have in that white a gene that surpresses brown. So to remove the greenish that they inherited from their Isabel ancestors, an outcross to a leghorn that lays true white may help with the cleanup of color -- but that would be some multiple generations away -- and as Moonshiner says a lot of chicks -- because Rooster egg genetics would requre a lot of test breeding.

It is so lucky that this project started for me when it did -- because I'm truly 'out of time' for it - -so I'm doubly glad that it ended as intended... The double barred males with double lavender are the key to getting over the finish line in the most direct route...but I think Moonshiner already stated that. :bow

Keep cool out there all y'all - it is probably going to be a hot summer.

Last edited:
There may be an as yet unknown variety there.

View attachment 1325470
ETA - The reason I aim for 2oz to 2.25 eggs is that is what recipies call for generally. I know for some people 'the bigger the better' -- Those double yolks were good breakfast eggs.

I have been getting one of those huge double yolker eggs about twice a months since December. The one I got last night was 116 grams. Well...I say double yolker but the one I ate on Sunday morning only had one normal sized yolk in it. I like large eggs, but when they are too big to fit in a standard egg carton and close the lid that is a bit to much for me. 70-80 grams eggs are welcome though.

Last edited:
Yes it was/is?
Hey @ChicKat how about a part two?
Cross those roosters with welsummers and make barred Isabelle olive eggers.
:th
Nooooo You're killing me. :lau:gig:lau. Another project?

I need to go back and verify their ages, but these babies are getting sooo big!
P1070518.JPG

Here's the one that hatched as a loner...and her feed store gold sex-
link roommate:
P1070516.JPG
P1070513.JPG

The six with their hatching 'mom' (one of them is the blur in the lower left corner)
Next, some of

my 9 from the incubator:
P1070511.JPG

It's so hot out there...just scorching...everyone is panting...
P1070510.JPG

The baby on the right is panting, and the baby on the left you can see the 'lavender' color of the eye. Once they reach adulthood the eyes of mine have all turned yellow.

I have been getting one of those huge double yolker eggs about twice a months since December. The one I got last night was 116 grams. Well...I saw double yolker but the one I are on Sunday morning only had one normal sized yolk in it. I like large eggs, but when they are too big to fit in a standard egg carton and close the lid that is a bit to much for me. 70-80 grams eggs are welcome though.
Hey there!:frow

Too big! :jumpy That is a big egg! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom