Lavender patterned Isabel duckwing barred - lavender brown cuckoo barred - project and genetic dis

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the event you came upon this thread, and didn't know, the top 4 Lavender Patterned Isabel Duckwings (LPID) from my flock have flown to The Moonshiner's flock.
In future they may make an appearance in Moonshiner's fabulous thread about Leghorns (since Legbars are nearly Leghorns and LPIDS are Leghorn & Legbar derivation - it's a good fit for them and their plumage pattern.)

Here's a link to that thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-moonshiners-leghorns.1257688/

Thinks for linking to my thread.
At this point I'm not sure just where or when I'll be posting about these birds. If I don't post in this thread I will link to it, refer to it and try to keep it alive.
It's quite an interesting read and full of information.
As well as a resource to clear up some questions and comments I've gotten.

I am fascinated! I just learned about this breed yesterday from Candace Waldon. I would like to add a few of her birds to my flock.

I am fascinated! I just learned about this breed yesterday from Candace Waldon. I would like to add a few of her birds to my flock.
By all means 'just do it'. You won't regret it at all.
Candace is one of the sources from which I got Isabel's early on. Candace kept the blue-egg genes and crests and I discarded both.

I just "got back" some of my project birds ---and I'm going to start up with them again. IMO they are natures most beautiful chicken color. :clap

Hi Brahma Chicken 5000--- no, i will be continuing with --LPID-B (Lavender Patterned Isabel Duckwing - Barred)--- It's all I really know. I will be hatching out some of these guys and working to improve them.
:O)

I guess, I kind of said it in an ambiguous way. These chickens are the result of the project...they lived elsewhere for about a year. Luckily I got two females and a male back. They are in great shape...just went through their molt and are picking up laying once again --so I have the option of hatching.

Work can always be done on -- increasing/improving egg production and refining their color and type. That would be my aim. (That and trying to distribute them out to the wide world) :gig

There is a November chicken show near Houston I'm thinking about taking them to -- but it means getting up at O-dawn-thirty and driving some hours, and then being there means exposing them to possible pathogens. It would be neat for chicken fanciers to see them and to get feedback on them.

TX just changed the way it does P/T testing in the last couple of years and it went from public (TX A&M) to private -- and I heard it's a bit of a shambles now. I'd need to get them tested...but that isn't as easy as it once was.
:barnie

Last edited:
Hi Brahma Chicken 5000--- no, i will be continuing with --LPID-B (Lavender Patterned Isabel Duckwing - Barred)--- It's all I really know. I will be hatching out some of these guys and working to improve them.
:O)

I guess, I kind of said it in an ambiguous way. These chickens are the result of the project...they lived elsewhere for about a year. Luckily I got two females and a male back. They are in great shape...just went through their molt and are picking up laying once again --so I have the option of hatching.

Work can always be done on -- increasing/improving egg production and refining their color and type. That would be my aim. (That and trying to distribute them out to the wide world) :gig

There is a November chicken show near Houston I'm thinking about taking them to -- but it means getting up at O-dawn-thirty and driving some hours, and then being there means exposing them to possible pathogens. It would be neat for chicken fanciers to see them and to get feedback on them.

TX just changed the way it does P/T testing in the last couple of years and it went from public (TX A&M) to private -- and I heard it's a bit of a shambles now. I'd need to get them tested...but that isn't as easy as it once was.
:barnie
I am not sure that you will be able to even get them tested anytime soon.
There is an outage of the antigen for the testing right now.
Screenshot_20191004-135709.png

And I highly recommend taking a class, once the class is available again, to be able to test your birds yourself.
It is so much easier than trying to track down one of us testers.

By all means 'just do it'. You won't regret it at all.
Candace is one of the sources from which I got Isabel's early on. Candace kept the blue-egg genes and crests and I discarded both.

I just "got back" some of my project birds ---and I'm going to start up with them again. IMO they are natures most beautiful chicken color. :clap

I was given a Legbar Cross hen (don't know what with) along with 11 other EE and OE hens; the rooster is a Marans so some of the pullets are crossed with him. Anyway, the Legbar cross is laying a beautiful blue egg and I want more! LOL I'm full right now but in the Spring I'll be ready for chicks or even pullets as I sell off some.

I am not sure that you will be able to even get them tested anytime soon.
There is an outage of the antigen for the testing right now.
View attachment 1925522

And I highly recommend taking a class, once the class is available again, to be able to test your birds yourself.
It is so much easier than trying to track down one of us testers.
-----------------------------
Thanks for the info! ?You are always on top of things!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom