Lavender (Self-Blue) ... How do we get there?

Quote:
split lav x anything not carring a lav gene will result in 50% split and 50% non split.
This means there will be no visually lavender from this cross and only half of them will carry the lav gene.
If you cross the offspring back to the split lav you will get half visually lavender and half split lavs.

Now when you cross a lav with a blue split/lav you should half visually blue (carring lav gene) and half a very light color (carring 2 copies of lav gene) because lav is a diluter gene sooo...

lav dilutes black to creat lavender
blue is a dilute black soo you add lav in to the mix and it is a VERY dilute color (creme or porcelain)

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
We've just been bored for a lot longer... LOL
lau.gif

ahhh . . I see. Well, I have a new husband so maybe in a year or two I'll start talking color genes and percentiles. lol!
In the mean time I'll keep lurking and learning, it really is fascinating and you guys know so much, the ones in this thread are so incredible looking.

The best way to learn the genetics is to first figure out the terminology and the very general idea of how heredity works, then one gene at a time. Just gradually add a bit and then a bit more and next thing you know, you;ll be spouting off with the best of us
big_smile.png

I was also interested in what happens if you breed lav to a blue. So it would lighten it more and get maybe cream or porcelain. That sounds interesting. I like the Porcelains and cream colors.

Quote:
yes, I just have a lack of words to describe the coloration in question. To be true porcelain the fowl needs to have 2 copies of the molted gene and I believe the partraige gene also. Here this is a neat little program to play with with chicken genetics.

Chicken calculator

Back
Top Bottom