lavender (self blue)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hdowden, Dec 24, 2011.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Lavender Ameraucanas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FowlStuff likes this.
  2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Lavender Orpington projects.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Oh my Kathy, I know what I want you to hatch for me!! WOW! Those Lavender Ams are to die for!

4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    nope Gallo,

Those chicks are andalusian blues, the normal blue. Lavender is a very pale blue and is a gene unto itself. It is recessive , which means both parents have to have a copy of it for it to show in the offspring. Yes it does dilute red/gold to a pale buff color. A good common case of this it a porcelain. Porcelain is nothing more than a lavender based mille fleur. So now you can kinda have an idea of it's effect on the colors. It only dilutes reds and golds, covers black and blue, no other colors are effected by it

5. gallo4319

gallo4319 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Quote:thank you.

6. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Wow, these are some beautiful birds! I have never seen a Self Blue Phoenix before. The Ameraucanas and Orps are just gorgeous!

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:they are very rare, these solids were some I got off Cy Hyde an 8 year project he's been working on. The barred are from a line using one of Toni Maries males she gave me. Outside of that, there are none that I know of.

8. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm APA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    This was posted on another thread, but was good enough to repeat here:

Black X Self Blue= 100% visually Black chicks split to (recessivly carrying) the Lavender gene

If you breed the split offspring together you will get...

Black (split Self Blue) X Black (split Self Blue) = 50% Black chicks split to Self Blue, 25% Self Blue chicks and 25% Black chicks

Self Blue X Black (split Self Blue) = 50% Black chicks split to Self Blue, 50% Self Blue chicks

It is recommended crossing your Black split (Self Blue) birds together for further improvement rather than putting them back under their Self Blue father, unless the Self Blue rooster you have has very good qualities. Think about it this way- every time you breed back to Black you're improving the future Self Blue offspring.

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Quote:but couldnt the self blue gene be breed out?

10. rffEnuff

rffEnuff Out Of The Brooder

i love that oeg bantam ckl and the orpingtons. here is one of my lavender cornish projects:

[​IMG]

have not been able to get a good shot of the pullets yet as they free range and due to the lacing and the lavender it can be hard to get nice photos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by