Lavender Silkie Question

JenEric Farms

GOOGLE GENIUS
16 Years
Oct 31, 2007
Maine
If I have a pen of Black / Splash / Blue and Lavender silkies...what would I get with Lavender X Splash and Lavender x Blue? I know lavender x black = splits. Would lavender to split black = 50% lavender and 50% split? Also, split x split...is that 50% lavender and 50% black/split?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I have read several posts and it seems to vary and the questions are all worded a little different than what I am asking.

Thanks in adavance all you experts!

The reason I am asking is I have Blue / Black and Splash in the incubator right now and love the lavender and would like to pen them together, but not at the expense of a bunch of wierd colored chicks.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Here are a couple I think may be both lavender and splash. The pullet on the left seems more lavender but still has a few splotches, and the roo on the right looks either splash, light blue or lavender depending on the light. It's tough to really show their coloring in a picture.

13729_pair1.jpg

13729_pair2.jpg

The pullet

13729_lavpullet.jpg

And the roo in a different light.

13729_bc3.jpg

13729_picture_14.jpg

Hopefully Sonoran Silkies will see this and add her knowledge, but from a blue x lavender and splash X lavender you can get blue lavender and splash lavender. Given that lavender isn't even accepted yet, and splash lavender may or may not ever be accepted into the APA I guess whether or not you want to produce any will depend on whether you want to show or just have some pretty pets.

As for the split x lavender, yes, you'll get 50% lav and 50% splits. And the split x split will give 25% lav, 25% black and 50% split I believe.

If you breed a lav/splash to a lav/black, would you get Black, Blue, Lavender, Splash and a combo of splits? Good Lord, did that just make sense?

Since lavender is recessive, your chicks will need a lav gene from each parent to be lavender. If your lavender would be black (blbl) if it weren't for the two lavender genes, treat him like any other black bird when breeding to your BBS hens. The resulting chicks will all be heterozygous (split) for lavender. It is possible for a lavender (lavlav) bird to also be blue (Blbl) or splash (BlBl), so your results will vary based on the genotype of your lavender.

Quote:
Thank you for explaining this so that the Lay person can understand! I understand the tech, but when some people try to tell someone else how to breed for the color it confuses most people when they start the "e-Qr(4+Xfactor)"examples. I also get the Blue/Lav splits, and when you breed them together you get true Lav color. These Blues are light steele in color, and have Chipmunk stripes as babies. Here's a picture.
1336_dscn0854.jpg

Brody's Broodello :

I also get the Blue/Lav splits, and when you breed them together you get true Lav color.

You bred blue to lav and then bred the splits together and got true lav?​

Sometimes I see that people have black/lav splits and the birds are black with what appears to be silver leaking through the neck. Why is that?

Quote:
You can have silver leaking through on a "regular" black, it has to do with the melonizers. It's not because of the Lav gene, not saying that the diluter isn't helping the color change.

Back
Top Bottom