I really considered chickens! Especially those REALLY itty bitty ones that have a stance like they’ve got something to prove 🤣— Serema, maybe? But our town is really persnickety about chickens and quail are so much smaller/quieter (and 2 of my neighbors have chickens that make noise plus we already have a loud coonhound!) that I thought they’d be less likely to catch heat.

What kind of chickens do you have?

I really like the giant Brahmas 😍 but my absolute bucket-list dream poultry is to keep peafowl! I don’t think they’re much good for eggs or meat, I just think they’re unbelievably cool.
A silver sebright, a golden sebright, a white/cream color silkie (who might be a roo), a self blue, and a barnyard bantam mix. I had a couple others but they were def. cockerels and I can’t have them where I am right now.

I love bantams they are so small and cute.
I convinced my husband to let me get 5 bantam chicks out of the bin at TSC. Two were def. Roos so I rehomed them.
Then I went out and got two more the same age from a farm about an hour away. They are almost 8 weeks now And will be going into their coop. I wanted to wait a little longer for the silkie.

7BB8A81C-178B-4CF3-A3FA-247DEF1A151B.jpeg
E4C2E29C-21EC-45B5-8E81-0CFE0958AC11.jpeg
2683D70F-9804-43BA-A17E-8BB64FFA80C5.jpeg

Update: she feathered out after molt as JUST orange and cream?? With some silver/blue stil in her flight feathers, and around her neck.

I believe this is what “Le creme” looks like, yes? So lavender plus roux?

😂 y’all, deciphering this bird has become a WHOLE THING!

She’s definitely female though as she’s now 8 weeks and not producing foam. Anyone else have female quail that look like this??

View attachment 3275149View attachment 3275150View attachment 3275152
Update: she feathered out after molt as JUST orange and cream?? With some silver/blue stil in her flight feathers, and around her neck.

I believe this is what “Le creme” looks like, yes? So lavender plus roux?

😂 y’all, deciphering this bird has become a WHOLE THING!

She’s definitely female though as she’s now 8 weeks and not producing foam. Anyone else have female quail that look like this??
I LOVE HER! Now I need to get quail again! I miss the little eggs and they are yummy! Come spring I’m getting some!

I LOVE HER! Now I need to get quail again! I miss the little eggs and they are yummy! Come spring I’m getting some!
Mine still arent laying! I just got them a 6500k 400 lumen light that I’m hoping will help but by the time they got through molting it was already chilly and getting dark by 6:30 🙈

I’m also working on expanding their pen to an aviary with I believe 80’ of floor space and a section with 7’ ceiling so they can do some flying, I’m hoping that will help! It’s also planted and under my kids playscape so pretty weather protected without taking up more yard or screaming. “We have borbs in the backyard!” Since technically only chickens are allowed here 😅

The expansion is partially selfish, I want to be able to sit with them and hang out, I find their noises super relaxing.

Mine still arent laying! I just got them a 6500k 400 lumen light that I’m hoping will help but by the time they got through molting it was already chilly and getting dark by 6:30 🙈

I’m also working on expanding their pen to an aviary with I believe 80’ of floor space and a section with 7’ ceiling so they can do some flying, I’m hoping that will help! It’s also planted and under my kids playscape so pretty weather protected without taking up more yard or screaming. “We have borbs in the backyard!” Since technically only chickens are allowed here 😅

The expansion is partially selfish, I want to be able to sit with them and hang out, I find their noises super relaxing.
In the law where you live it states you can’t have quail? Usually if it doesn’t say it you can get away with it because they are considered wild game.

In the law where you live it states you can’t have quail? Usually if it doesn’t say it you can get away with it because they are considered wild game.
It says “up to 6 hens [with a lot of rules about pen placement with regard to neighbors], no other poultry or fowl are permitted.” Which I beievebcovers quail but also… they’re virtually silent, certainly not any more loud than the local song birds and corvids, they don’t smell outside, and they aren’t free range so HOW would anyone ever know?! 😂

They’re I believe 9-10 weeks now? I’m losing track! Bad bird mama! They hatched out the end of July and began a slow molt/final feathering right at 6 weeks, I have been able to identify 2 males for certain by foam, and the boys have some neck feather pecking damage so I believe they’re about old enough? But it did also just get cold so maybe that’s an adjustment?

They’re I believe 9-10 weeks now? I’m losing track! Bad bird mama! They hatched out the end of July and began a slow molt/final feathering right at 6 weeks, I have been able to identify 2 males for certain by foam, and the boys have some neck feather pecking damage so I believe they’re about old enough? But it did also just get cold so maybe that’s an adjustment?
Yeah they are adjusting. But I wouldn’t worry about it. You will find an egg any day now. They are certainly old enough and very close to laying.
I bought a couple cuddle bones from Walmart when I had my quail. They pecked at it and really enjoyed it.
That will be good for the laying girls. I also bought a powder of oyster shell and would mix it with some of the food. But only like a table spoon.
But the cuddle bone was sufficient. They eat what they want and need.

This is likely an Italian het andalusian? I'm still learning genetics but het Andalusian would explain the gray and patchy pattern. If you breed her to a het Andalusian rooster and they produce Andalusians you have your answer.

Back
Top Bottom