Lavender x Buff Orpington cross

I have a Lavender Orrington Roo and Black set linked. First Gen they were all black. 2nd generation, I had 3 Lavenders hatch :) the rest are black.

I have an unusual situation. I have baby chicks that are hatching right now! I had a lavender rooster with my buff Orpington hens. About a month ago my dog killed my rooster. I have no other roosters. I was going to wait and hatch some baby chicks later on in the year but things changed when I lost my rooster. I was wanting to get some lavenders.

I started collecting eggs to incubate. It's been about a month and some of my hen's eggs are still fertile. I am amazed by this.

I came home to a lot of peeps in my incubator. I peeped inside and they are all dark colored. I didn't expect this. I was expecting yellows with a recessive lavender gene.

Anyone out there who can help me understand? Thanks!
I did a little reading and evidently the lavender orpington is a resessive gene, so the chicks are a throw back from the black orpington used to get the lavender. I have the same thing, though I found out before they were hatched. So I wasn't surprised.

Thanks for sharing, I have Buff Orpington but lost my rooster to a dog attack. I had a friend with loads of extra Lavender Orpington Roo's. So now I am going to be experimenting with this mix. I also have a Blue Cooper Maran that is very pretty and my best layer. I am going to hatch some of their eyes as soon I know they are fertile. I think they will be gorgeous.

Back
Top Bottom