Lavender x Buff Orpington cross

These don't look like the black Orpington chicks that I see online. These look like the gold ones. Very dark brown and rust colors

These don't look like the black Orpington chicks that I see online. These look like the gold ones. Very dark brown and rust colors
they sure are adorable either way tho - color is intreaging for sure - Do you plan on keeping them? Would you still keep posted on their growth - I'd either way really like to see how they turn out as they get older

I hopefully will be in the same situation pretty soon, my roo Leo which is a lavender is barely maturing And i just moved him with my two buff orps and pretty soon i will be hatching some chicks too, keep us updated with your chicks to see how they'll turn to be :)

When my dog killed my rooster he killed the only lavender hen I had, and another buff hen. When I started seeing all of these dark ones I suspected that she had not laid an egg. Last night a silvery one hatched.

I have two batches in this incubator. Scattered around a few days. When I lost my rooster I started gathering up all my eggs and incubating them in batches. I have another incubator with about as many. These are newer ones... After my rooster was killed. I opened a couple of fresh eggs yesterday and one of them appeared to be fertile.

Here is my one lavender. I have about 8 more from this second batch so I hope I get another one.

The window of time for fertility of an egg is noteworthy. When I lost my rooster I was not able to get a definitive answer. I settled on about a week. It is much longer then that by 3-4 weeks. I will continue to check my eggs until I have no more fertile ones and update.

I don't know what I am going to do with all these chicks! :/

I will be keeping many of these but not all of them. I may grow them out a bit. I expect to have about 60+. I can only keep maybe not even half of that. If anyone is interested please contact me.

I'm glad you were able to hatch out some LAVs - hey those brown ones can be the start of a project bird for you for sure now with both types - if you were closer I'd think maybe get a couple - you could always post in the BST section -
I myself right now have 2 incubators going - I give ours 2 weeks til hatch, as time goes fertility does drop , so I like to be safe than sorry, could probably go 3 weeks just no longer

I wish you were closer. I'd bring you some. What I meant regarding the fertility rate was when my rooster died, which was about a month ago. I am still getting fertile eggs.

I unfortunately lost a few since last night. The chicks were running over some of the eggs and turned a few. They were trying to pip from the bottom:(. Now I am inspecting the eggs and putting them back into the position I found them.

This is my first time for hatching chicks. In my second incubator I have about 30+. I have the eggs dated in batches. Those that are close to hatching I will move into this first incubator for lockdown.

Any advise on how I am doing? Thank you LGP! You are kind to help me.

I wish you were closer. I'd bring you some. What I meant regarding the fertility rate was when my rooster died, which was about a month ago. I am still getting fertile eggs.

I unfortunately lost a few since last night. The chicks were running over some of the eggs and turned a few. They were trying to pip from the bottom:(. Now I am inspecting the eggs and putting them back into the position I found them.

This is my first time for hatching chicks. In my second incubator I have about 30+. I have the eggs dated in batches. Those that are close to hatching I will move into this first incubator for lockdown.

Any advise on how I am doing? Thank you LGP! You are kind to help me.

Even if there is no rooster after one has been with a hen- the hen stores the sperm for I think up to 30 days, but don't quote me on the time period - they can also eject previous sperm if a new rooster is present- I had hatch off the same bird different days apart but 2 different daddies with each chick- was interesting for sure -

To me personally what i do which some people will probably disagree with but it still works out - if there fully hatched chicks vs ones still hatching- I allow the hatched ones to dry and fluff out- the. Remove them and the empty shells to allow the rest to hatch in peace - one egg that was in process of hatching was killed by the hatched ones knocking it around- I just put them into their already warmed up tank and the settle right in - this way no casualties happen from the already hatched ones like I had happen - if a chick has loads of strength to romp around I remove them - but I try to do it quickly since humidity loss

Everyone I found has their own process that works for them- it's trial and error sadly with hatched, then finding what works- if I do take out chicks I check to also make sure they haven't pipped on the floor, if so I gently turn them over so they can finish the job properly. Things are also based on your locations - I'm in Washington so hatching is a lil different here than for you in Texas

But so far you have a wonderful hatch going for you
1f603.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom