Lavender x Buff Orpington cross

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by miasria, Apr 24, 2015.

1. miasria

miasria Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These don't look like the black Orpington chicks that I see online. These look like the gold ones. Very dark brown and rust colors

2. Lil Go Peep

Lil Go Peep Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    Marysville,Wa
    My Coop
    they sure are adorable either way tho - color is intreaging for sure - Do you plan on keeping them? Would you still keep posted on their growth - I'd either way really like to see how they turn out as they get older

3. Wanex

Wanex Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2014
    I hopefully will be in the same situation pretty soon, my roo Leo which is a lavender is barely maturing And i just moved him with my two buff orps and pretty soon i will be hatching some chicks too, keep us updated with your chicks to see how they'll turn to be :)

4. miasria

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    When my dog killed my rooster he killed the only lavender hen I had, and another buff hen. When I started seeing all of these dark ones I suspected that she had not laid an egg. Last night a silvery one hatched.

I have two batches in this incubator. Scattered around a few days. When I lost my rooster I started gathering up all my eggs and incubating them in batches. I have another incubator with about as many. These are newer ones... After my rooster was killed. I opened a couple of fresh eggs yesterday and one of them appeared to be fertile.

Here is my one lavender. I have about 8 more from this second batch so I hope I get another one. [​IMG]

The window of time for fertility of an egg is noteworthy. When I lost my rooster I was not able to get a definitive answer. I settled on about a week. It is much longer then that by 3-4 weeks. I will continue to check my eggs until I have no more fertile ones and update.

I don't know what I am going to do with all these chicks! :/

5. miasria

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    I will be keeping many of these but not all of them. I may grow them out a bit. I expect to have about 60+. I can only keep maybe not even half of that. If anyone is interested please contact me.

6. Lil Go Peep

Apr 21, 2015
    Marysville,Wa
    My Coop
    I'm glad you were able to hatch out some LAVs - hey those brown ones can be the start of a project bird for you for sure now with both types - if you were closer I'd think maybe get a couple - you could always post in the BST section -
    I myself right now have 2 incubators going - I give ours 2 weeks til hatch, as time goes fertility does drop , so I like to be safe than sorry, could probably go 3 weeks just no longer

7. miasria

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    I wish you were closer. I'd bring you some. What I meant regarding the fertility rate was when my rooster died, which was about a month ago. I am still getting fertile eggs.

I unfortunately lost a few since last night. The chicks were running over some of the eggs and turned a few. They were trying to pip from the bottom:(. Now I am inspecting the eggs and putting them back into the position I found them.

This is my first time for hatching chicks. In my second incubator I have about 30+. I have the eggs dated in batches. Those that are close to hatching I will move into this first incubator for lockdown.

Any advise on how I am doing? Thank you LGP! You are kind to help me. [​IMG]

8. Lil Go Peep

Apr 21, 2015
    Marysville,Wa
    My Coop

Even if there is no rooster after one has been with a hen- the hen stores the sperm for I think up to 30 days, but don't quote me on the time period - they can also eject previous sperm if a new rooster is present- I had hatch off the same bird different days apart but 2 different daddies with each chick- was interesting for sure -

To me personally what i do which some people will probably disagree with but it still works out - if there fully hatched chicks vs ones still hatching- I allow the hatched ones to dry and fluff out- the. Remove them and the empty shells to allow the rest to hatch in peace - one egg that was in process of hatching was killed by the hatched ones knocking it around- I just put them into their already warmed up tank and the settle right in - this way no casualties happen from the already hatched ones like I had happen - if a chick has loads of strength to romp around I remove them - but I try to do it quickly since humidity loss

Everyone I found has their own process that works for them- it's trial and error sadly with hatched, then finding what works- if I do take out chicks I check to also make sure they haven't pipped on the floor, if so I gently turn them over so they can finish the job properly. Things are also based on your locations - I'm in Washington so hatching is a lil different here than for you in Texas

But so far you have a wonderful hatch going for you [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  9. miasria

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    Images of wing feathers at 4 days[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any thoughts? They are all doing great

10. miasria

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    Mostly dark brown 2 tones. There are a few that have solid black feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by