Lavender x Buff Orpington cross

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by miasria, Apr 24, 2015.

1. miasria

miasria Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    I have an unusual situation. I have baby chicks that are hatching right now! I had a lavender rooster with my buff Orpington hens. About a month ago my dog killed my rooster. I have no other roosters. I was going to wait and hatch some baby chicks later on in the year but things changed when I lost my rooster. I was wanting to get some lavenders.

I started collecting eggs to incubate. It's been about a month and some of my hen's eggs are still fertile. I am amazed by this.

I came home to a lot of peeps in my incubator. I peeped inside and they are all dark colored. I didn't expect this. I was expecting yellows with a recessive lavender gene.

Anyone out there who can help me understand? Thanks!

2. miasria

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of what they are looking like. A dark brown.

3. Lil Go Peep

Lil Go Peep Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    Marysville,Wa
    My Coop
    I came across another thread for you to help with this - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...vender-orpington-roo-and-a-buff-orpington-hen

I know Lavender changes different color pigments to other colors - didnt realize that a LAV and Buff would produce that color tho - I'd LOVE to see what they look like when they get bigger, if you can keep posted on this - I may do this project later for coloring. Right now I'm working on a LAV & red cochin crossing.... hatching a 3rd gen set now.

Here's my Rooster from Daddy (Red Cochin) & Momma (Lavender Orpington)
    [​IMG]

Generally they end up Splits - I had 3 just black ones, 2 this color and 4 with red and different markings... but this color is what I was looking for - He's put with Lavender hens and these are the ones I'm currently hatching

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  4. miasria

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here they are!

5. miasria

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    Thank you for your reply. That site led me to the chicken page. Their calculations is what I have. 50/50

50% Pullets, black unicolor?*E*Db
    50% Cockerels, black unicolor?*E*Db

6. miasria

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    There goes any desire I had to have some lavenders. Based on the calculations, these black chicks will only produce black.

7. miasria

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    But mine look like black, gold laced from the images I've seen on the net. This is my first time for breeding my own chicks. I will upload pictures on their development.

8. Lil Go Peep

Apr 21, 2015
    Marysville,Wa
    My Coop
    You'll know more probably when they get older on what they will look like

9. miasria

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    Your rooster is quite handsome. I hope I get one like yours.

10. Lil Go Peep

Apr 21, 2015
    Marysville,Wa
    My Coop

Thank you - that's Maverick - He wound up very pretty, tho his one brother was actually prettier and bigger I had to keep him- his brother came out with extra toes from the father - my goal is the color change in the Cochins - my original plan was going to take 5 gens based on the calculator- but I pulled the color on the 2nd gen rooster - so I maybe able to get what I want sooner- but we'll see- chicken genetics can pop out multiple things with each chick - just have to hatch enough-

Roosters I found while working the calculator are Key to a lot of characteristics later on - I couldn't achieve what I wanted without the rooster having the desired traits

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by