Lavender X Buff Orpington cross

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miasria, May 20, 2015.

1. miasria

miasria Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Photos from today. My young rooster is becoming quite handsome. Not what I expected.

2. SaskCowgirl

SaskCowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2013
    Alberta
    Would you breed this cross again? Or would you prefer purebred buffs over this cross?

3. miasria

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    No. I am going to breed these to lavender in an out cross. I should get some lavenders. I was very disappointed in the colors, however they should be good layers. !

4. miasria

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    But they are still purebred orpingtons.

5. SaskCowgirl

SaskCowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2013
    Alberta

Are they as meaty as the buffs? I like dual purpose birds and I am relying on a 5 week old to be a roo. Fingers crossed!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  6. miasria

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    Yes, exactly like the adults but still young. I'm hoping since the lavender rooster sire was a complete outcross the vitality should be good. My original hens I've been very pleased with.

7. microchick

microchick Chicken Obsessed

Thanks for the pictures. Now I know what to expect from my LO breeding our BO hens should he stop being so darned shy.

I'm also hoping for Welsummer/BO crosses to show off should one of our hens go broody come next spring. I can almost imagine the color combination of a B/O rooster with a Welsummer momma and vice versa.

8. miasria

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    I'm going to play around with these colors for awhile.

9. miasria

Aug 11, 2014
    Kaufman, Texas
    I took these today of my lavender x buff Orpington cross. They have turned out quite beautiful. I have a lavender rooster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Wanex

Wanex Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2014
    Pretty nice, mine are still growing up, i ended up with only 5 out of 15, some i gave away and others got eaten by cats sadly but now the ones that were left are quite big to survive although I already made them a cage

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by