Lavender X Buff Orpington cross

I would be interestes in seeing second or third generation bread back to full lavender. I have bo hens ans am getting a lav orp roo so I was thinking of trying this cross. I wonder if eventually you would get lavender again.

Cant wait to see what turns up either! I have to decide on getting a buff orp rooster or a lavender rooster to go with my buff orp girls... Decisions decisions....

If I breed my split hens to a lavender I should get some lavender ..,

Yes if they have the LAV gene they will pop out Splits and Lavender - with my Roo put back to Lavender - I had 3 black and 4 Lavender hatch - sadly they mostly all wound up roosters - only 2 hens - 1 black (split) and 1 lavender - but the Roos had the Isabel coloring I'm going for just incimplete - wish I coulda kept them, but I had no place to put them and I needed hens to put back to dad to put more red to complete the desired color

You bred a lavender rooster to your split hens and got some black? Not sure if I understood right. I have eggs in the incubator now

You bred a lavender rooster to your split hens and got some black? Not sure if I understood right. I have eggs in the incubator now

I bred my Split Roo back to lavender hens which creates Splits again and Lavenders - I hatched 7 eggs- 3 wound up Split Black & 4 wound up Lavender - I no longer have the Lavender/Cream color Roos- I only have 1 Black Split hen, Split Black that I "thought" was hen, but is actually Roo and Lavender hen no cream color- I shoulda taken pics before I got rid of them- but next hatch I do, I will for sure but I'll be hatching hens, no Roos - hens I have to put back to dad to add the red again, unless I pull it out of the 2 from last hatch - I needed Hens, but got all Roos except for 2 out of previous hatch, so I have to try again

From a page that explains it:

The Lavendar Gene:

*Lavender bred to lavender = 100% lavender offspring

*Lavender bred to split black = 50% lavender and 50% split black offspring

*Lavender bred to non-split black = 100% split black offspring

*Black split Lavender x Black split Lavender = 25% Lavender/ 50% Black split to Lavender/ 25% Black

*Split black bred to non-split black = 50% split black and 50% non-split black

*Non-split black bred to non-split black = 100% non-split black offspring

Hope this helps - I hope you get more lavender than black split in hatch

Last edited:
Thank you!! What I am unsure if is your terminology. When you use the word split black, what color are referencing? Based on the images that I've uploaded, what would you define their color as being? Thanks for your help, Joanne

Thank you!! What I am unsure if is your terminology. When you use the word split black, what color are referencing? Based on the images that I've uploaded, what would you define their color as being? Thanks for your help, Joanne

This is one pic I took when my Black/Red Split with LAV hens were hatching- the Split Black or Black Split means they come out Black in color but have the LAV gene - with any Split put back to lavender they will always create The Black Split and all Lavender chicks - you only get 100% lavender when you put 2 True Lavenders together - you can put a Lavender Hen with a full red color like I did and the chicks all come out black in color- my Roos sister is all black no color, but has the LAV gene, same with his offspring - Split I think mainly refers to they only have 1 LAV gene not 2 as where the True Lavender color has 2, because both parents are Lavender - The Buff/ Lavs came out with color because the buff has other factors to create the color, but they still have the LAV gene as they are a Split ( 1 parent gene) - you put Lav back to them- they will create the Split and True Lav color but is a 50/50 chance for pulling the True Lav color - does this help now - it works about the same with Blues since the LAV and Blue gene dilute black to create the color

Back
Top Bottom