Lavender X Buff Orpington cross

Ya! Some action on this thread. :)
I saw your boy.....cutie. My pullets are getting fluffier now and are sweet like all my Orpingtons. What would you suggest I breed them to??

If you breed them back to a lavender you will most likely get blacks, more of what you have and lavenders. I made the mistake and only kept pullets the last time. You will need a rooster out of this combination for the gold. I don't recall how it was worded, but another poster did a very nice write up on how all this works. I'm learning a lot along the way.

My ultimate goal is to have good, healthy layers. These splits are just that. My lavenders don't lay as well as my buffs and splits. The English variety, while immensely beautiful do not lay as well as the American... Especially my English Isabels.

1 Roo from my older set shows to be the only one who is showing the coloring
1f600.png
- the other 2 Roos are just LAV and the hen is LAV so far - they are still young and debating if I should keep him

My 2nd set of course popped out 3 Roos again and 1 hen - but this set has 2 LAV and 2 Split

My 3rd set I'm excited most came out fluffy feet (which I want) and my oddball chick is showing the Partridge and is a soon to be Roo - he can pick up where his dad left off -

Can't wait to see how the LAV ones turn out as well
1f600.png

If you breed them back to a lavender you will most likely get blacks, more of what you have and lavenders. I made the mistake and only kept pullets the last time. You will need a rooster out of this combination for the gold. I don't recall how it was worded, but another poster did a very nice write up on how all this works. I'm learning a lot along the way.

My ultimate goal is to have good, healthy layers. These splits are just that. My lavenders don't lay as well as my buffs and splits. The English variety, while immensely beautiful do not lay as well as the American... Especially my English Isabels.

See.... this is my problem I don't know why but every single one is a pull it I got no cockerels from this breeding. ... so now I have these 6 beautiful girls and not sure what to breed them to next season. I have now two Lavender Orpington roosters. Black and Blue Orpington Roos as well. Any suggestions?

See.... this is my problem I don't know why but every single one is a pull it I got no cockerels from this breeding. ... so now I have these 6 beautiful girls and not sure what to breed them to next season. I have now two Lavender Orpington roosters. Black and Blue Orpington Roos as well. Any suggestions?

Are they Splits? If so your only option would be to put them back to LAV Roo - any other color won't pull out Lavs - you will get LAV and Split combination - so you would need a bunch of eggs to try to get what you want -

I wound up my first set 2 split, 4 LAV and luckily lost the splits as I only need the LAV - 2nd set of 4 (2 LAV and 2 Split) my last set I was extremely lucky out of 8 chicks 7 LAV and 1 partridge marked one (who will replace dad as I lost him to a coyote) - others I had done I came up with more Split than LAV - it's a rough shot on getting the Lavs from a hatch - then keep a Roo from your next generation

Are they Splits? If so your only option would be to put them back to LAV Roo - any other color won't pull out Lavs - you will get LAV and Split combination - so you would need a bunch of eggs to try to get what you want -

I wound up my first set 2 split, 4 LAV and luckily lost the splits as I only need the LAV - 2nd set of 4 (2 LAV and 2 Split) my last set I was extremely lucky out of 8 chicks 7 LAV and 1 partridge marked one (who will replace dad as I lost him to a coyote) - others I had done I came up with more Split than LAV - it's a rough shot on getting the Lavs from a hatch - then keep a Roo from your next generation

Yes... they are by my lavender rooster and out of my buff hen. so I will read them to my new lavender rooster and any lavender offspring I will breed back to their lavender grandsire. Sound about right?

Yes... they are by my lavender rooster and out of my buff hen. so I will read them to my new lavender rooster and any lavender offspring I will breed back to their lavender grandsire. Sound about right?

If your going for coloring keep in mind the Roo is generally the key to coloring and a lot of other things - so if grand sire has the color gene you want yes -

My set the Roos are the ones that came up with the color - I was going to put any hens (if they have that hidden gene but not showing) back to dad to give them the full color gene, then hope the next gen the hens will pop color too - since I lost dad I now have to use the one son to pick up where he left off - I could probably use the Roo that is showing the color but I'm not sure if the girls have that gene I need to pull in both Roo and Hen - as it's just been Roo so far and I believe it to be incomplete possibly - I may need to keep Colored Roo to see how he matures and put him with next gen female -

they are very pretty birds have you beread any of them yet and if so what did you get from them?

Here's an update on my "oddball" since it's been a while- he's almost all feathered out now- Sadly I lost most of the chicks, due to too many Roos, some under developed. I have 3 remaining - Oddball, a Lav Cochin characteristic and a lav hen (Cochin characteristic) - Oddball will pick up where his dad left off being he's a LAV gene carrier and will be placed with our set of Lav Cuckoo/Jubilee Orpington hen crosses to pull out color better- with the loss of my Breeder, I have to change up

Back
Top Bottom