Law on Keeping chickens in Bellingham, WA

Madman360

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 15, 2008
Bellingham, WA
From the Municipal code of Bellingham, Washington.

A. Any person being the owner or entitled to the possession of any animal of the species of horse, mule, ass, cattle, sheep, goat, domesticated fowl and exotic animals (except domesticated fowl maintained in a residence), including but not limited to, duck, chicken, goose, turkey or peafowl or swine of any kind, shall be permitted to keep the same within the limits of the City except as the same is now or may be hereafter forbidden by ordinance, by securely confining the same in a stable or other building; or an enclosure surrounded by a secure, well-built fence of sufficient height and strength to confine such animal therein; or the same may be securely staked out in a vacant lot in such manner that it cannot get upon any street, alley, or other public place within the City provided that the same is so confined or staked out as to effectively prevent it getting within 50' of any dwelling or other building in which persons work or are accustomed to be, or near enough to the property of another to do any damage thereto or commit any nuisance thereupon; and provided, further, that any such animal shall be considered as running at large when it breaks away from its fastenings or is herded or permitted to feed upon any of the streets, alleys or other public places of the City.

B. Hives or colonies of bees shall be kept in a manner in which they are inaccessible to the general public and so that bee movements to and from the hive do not interfere with the ordinary movements of persons on adjacent properties or the public right-of-way. Hives shall be located at least 50' from the nearest property line. All colonies must be registered with the Director of the Department of Agriculture of the State of Washington as provided in RCW 15.60.030. The terms "hive", "colony", "colonies of bees" and "bees" as used in this section shall have the meanings set forth in RCW 15.60.005.

C. All stables and other buildings and all enclosures and premises upon which any such animals are kept and confined shall be kept in a clean, healthful, and sanitary condition by the person owning, possessing, or using any such premises for said purposes; and no persons owning, possessing, or using any such premises shall permit any nuisance to be formed or to accumulate thereon.

D. It is the duty of the animal control authority to inspect all premises whereon any such animals are confined or kept, and to enforce the regulation of this chapter. If any such premises are not kept in the manner provided in this chapter, such officer of officers shall at once notify the persons owning, possession, or using the premises for such purpose to place the same in a safe, secure, clean, healthful, and sanitary condition, and such person shall forthwith comply with such order.

E. Any person violating any of the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of an infraction and upon conviction thereof shall be fined in any sum not to exceed $250.

[Ord. 10468 §2, 1993]

Does anyone know where I can find the City Ordinance on keeping fowl in Beaumont Texas?

Hi! I'm also in Bellingham and am interested in keeping some laying hens in a secure chicken tractor/ark. I heard that we were allowed three hens within Bellingham city limits? Does anyone know if this is the case? Also, if they are secure in a tractor, is the 50' rule enforced? (And maybe 50' is shorter than my mind is making it out to be:). What we don't have is a fenced yard, but we could create one to enclose the tractor, or our garden beds, if necessary. Any input/experiences/advice from fellow Bellingham residents would be much appreciated!
smile.png

So as i understand it, Your aloud to have chickens (and Roosters) and Ducks in the city limits of Bellingham Wa. Is there a limit on how many birds one can keep? anyone know the municipal code for having chickens in the city? Thank You

Bob4136

There is no limit on how many chickens you can keep in Bellingham. I live near lake Padden and I have 25 or something chickens, 2 turkeys, 1 goat, and am looking for ducks

7.12.130 Infractions – Penalty.

A violation of any of the following provisions shall constitute an infraction and shall subject the violator to a fine not to exceed $250.00:
A. Any violation of the provisions of BMC 7.12.060, the general regulations governing keeping animals in the city.
B. It is unlawful for any person to cause, permit, or allow any domestic animal or livestock of any kind to be at large.
C. It is unlawful for any person to take or drive any animal from any enclosed lot or tract of ground or from any stable or other building, or from outside the limits of the city with the intent that such animal be impounded.
D. It is unlawful to harbor or keep a rooster, peafowl, or turkey, which by frequent, habitual, or loud noise unreasonably annoys or disturbs another resident in the immediate neighborhood. [Ord. 2011-11-063 § 1; Ord. 10468 § 2, 1993].

I looked a little further in the city code and found this.

Back
Top Bottom