Lawn Toys

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by whitejerabias, Mar 1, 2012.

1. whitejerabias

whitejerabias Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2011
    DH am I just bought our very first home on Tuesday! We have a gorgeous craftsman era home with 3 acres and an stream. Now we need to go shopping:

A new car with 4WD

A snow blower

A lawn mower/rider?

So what toys do you mountain men recommend for a city gal turned homesteader? ;)

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Simple thing that I miss is a decent wheelbarrel. Perhaps a gun or two of various types.Some good quality tools to work the land...shovel,rake,axe. Maybe even a small 6x8 greehouse(harbror freight $280) if you need an early start to the season.

Enjoy your new home!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Shovel
    Hatchet
    Rope
    Duct tape
    Thick gloves
    Super heavy duty wheel barrel
    Biggest tractor you can afford
    Gas can

Congrats on your new place! Any photos?

4. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Congrats on your new house! [​IMG]

Besides the goods already mentioned, maybe a 4wd truck in place of the 4wd car so you can haul the goods.

I would love to see pics!

5. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Storage building to keep the garage (if you have one) uncluttered of the new toys, so you can use it for your new vehicle!! If you have snow, it's much nicer not to have to clean the car off!

The two wheeled wheel barrows are awesome!!!

Garden hoses!

Snow shovel

House generator

6. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

All of the above listed items & a BIG NEW CHICKEN COOP!! [​IMG]

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    With 3 acres, you'll want that lawn mower to be a riding lawn mower.

Depending upon where you are located, it is either time to plant bare root fruit trees, or it soon will be time. Since it takes a couple of years for them to start bearing fruit, I suggest that you get some planted this spring.

8. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    If you are getting a 4 WD, you don't need a ride on lawn mower. We have several acres and tow a gang mower behind a land rover. The secret is to buy items that have several uses. For example, you could tow a trailer behind your 4 WD. You can also tow a plough and a harrow. I would invest in a top quality utility vehicle, here that would be a Land Rover, and use it for all your land care needs.

9. whitejerabias

Dec 6, 2011
    Thanks guys! There's a few things I didn't think of; a wheel barrow and a generator for the freezer.

For a car, I have narrowed it down to Volvo (V or XC class) or Subaru (Outback or Forrester).

Does anyone know snowblowers? Can you recommend a make/model for us? It needs to be moderately kick tush. I'm looking at craigslist and we've got Ariens, Toro and MTD Yard Machines starting $225. What is a good brand and price I should pay for a reliable used one.

10. whitejerabias

Dec 6, 2011
    newfoundland- can you expand a little bit on towing a plow? I can't quite visualize it. Would I be plowing backwards? I would love a vehicle I can attach a plow to, but we can't get a pickup at the moment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by