Lawnmower vs Rooster GRAPHIC PICS/ Saying Goodbye

Quote:
th.gif
Yikes... I'm the one that suggested earthworms... didn't know that! You're so right, any wild critter/bug has the potential for parasites. But would "store-bought" worms raised by a breeder of worms have parasites? Store bought crickets?
hu.gif

I'm learning a lot from this thread.

Last edited:
mmaddie's mom :

Quote:
th.gif
Yikes... I'm the one that suggested earthworms... didn't know that! You're so right, any wild critter/bug has the potential for parasites. But would "store-bought" worms raised by a breeder of worms have parasites? Store bought crickets?
hu.gif

I'm learning a lot from this thread.

I agree this site is awesome and there are so many diffferent kinds of people that raise chickens from all walks of life. This is just like school. I learn something new everyday. Oh and to make your feel better I once asked a question about broody hens. I kept saying that she was laying on eggs, well in fact of course she isn't laying eggs, she is setting or sitting on them. So don't feel bad. I think this is how I learn best is if I am wrong I want someone to correct me so I don't do anything to them that may harm them.
wink.png

I don't think that any earthworm either wild or store bought is a good idea. Cricketts I don't beleive cause problems. I fed my rooster Jack crickets with calcuim powder sprinkled on them probably 10 to 12 doozen a week and I got them from my local pet store. I also feed my son's gheko crickets and this is their natural diet so gosh I hope that this doesn't.

I just think it is the earthworm.

I know mealworms are fine for them but those huge type of worms that are called super worms or wax worms are not very good for them. Since they don't have teeth they of course are whole when they eat them and I read it wasn't good to feed them to chickens. They also don't have the nutrients that the mealworms do.​

If you want him to gain weight then shouldn't you be increasing his carbohydrates? I mean that's what they say about giving your chickens too much scratch is that it's too many carbs and too many "empty" calories.

Scratch wouldn't work right now because of the corn in it though. When they digest corn it increases their body temp. That's why mine don't get scratch at all in the summer and I give them scratch just before bedtime in the winter. I also give them a little extra on really, really cold days. (I'm in Michigan)

If you can get some kind of grain or oats for him I would think that that would help him gain weight. Just give him a little to start with.

Good Karma comes back in unexpected ways & it is so good to see it happening here!!!!!
celebrate.gif
The feistier Kubota gets, the stronger he is becoming!
wee.gif

Can you get your hands on any ground-up oyster shell? I know that's good calcium for them and mine luv it! I don't give it to them all the time as their eggs become like concrete shells with calcium deposits on them LOL but may be good for Kubota right now? Anyone else on here please comment. I wish I knew more to help but it sounds like you are doing everything right Lori!
Keep goin' strong girl !! We are rootin' for you two!
pop.gif

thumbsup.gif

thanks for all of the suggestions!
I have also learned TONS through this site. And I am a total believer in boiled egg, yogurt and povadine
lol.png

It is raining in just sheets of water again today. Annoying because just north of us you can see the most beautiful blue skies - like the sky was fresh washed. Overhead is dark dark clouds, tons of rain and some wind. Of course this is the day I was going to turn Kubota out in my fenced garden so he could get some exercise and excitement
roll.png

I checked on him early this morning, gave him his penicillin shot and some fresh food (pellets ,egg, yogurt and some leftover roast beef
droolin.gif
). I had to take my dog to the vet for his medicated bath and then go straight to an appointment so I didn't do anything with Kubota's bandage (of course, it was raining too). I planned to go after my appointment and get bandages etc but I got distracted, and I am one of those people if I get distracted it's over with... you have to have a hound dog to track me on my rabbit trails. (In fact it was a dog - a pit bull-that distracted me. She was laying just a few feet off of the highway just watching cars. I was afraid she was hurt so I turned around and went to check on her - she was laying in water, in the rain. As soon as I said "hey sweetie you ok????" she took off running
sad.png
. Traffic stopped and let her across the road and she bolted into a field and kept going. )

Anyway - long story longer, I came home and realized I had forgotten the first aid stuff, so I fed him again, made sure he is on a dry towel and I will try again this afternoon. At some point I need to try to get a nap, because I work overnight tonight.

Macaroni & cheese is a complete protein ...They love cheese and the macaroni looks like little worms. You might could try any of ur left over meats especially hamburger...hamburger helper, spagetti, pizza, tacos. Also any kind of dry beans, cook first( lima, pinto, blackeyed peas, black beans. Hope this helps.
thumbsup.gif

In the winter, I supplement my chickens with my dog's food. He is on a restricted diet due to food allergies. "Wellness" (pet food company) has a line of dog & cat foods called "CORE", which are meat only, no grains. My dog is on the fish diet, and I soak a cup of kibble in about 3 cups of hot water in the morning (while I take a shower) and it swells up, and the chickies LOVE it. 34% protein, 14% fat. Here's the link:

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/product-details.aspx?pet=dog&pid=72&dm=grainfree#guaranteed-analysis

Keep up the good work:) You need a "Chicken Angel" tee shirt!!

Back
Top Bottom