layed something bloody! YUCK!

swmommyto3

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
alright I have no idea who it even came from, 8 hens all layed this morning I went out a bit ago and there was something that I thought was poo in their nest box but when I went to scoop it out it obviously was not. it was the size of an egg, pinkish on outside and I chopped it open and it was solid blood like cutting open a beet same color and texture. what the heck is it??? one girl has lost some weight and we're wondering if she's ok but still laying fine and free ranging no changes other than some weight also the nest it was in was one she never uses. sorry too gross to post a picture! just imagine your hen laying a beet. help?

occasionally I have seen blood specks in eggs but never a total blood one. Watch the hen that has been losing wt. I would isolate her for awhile she may have a disease that you are not aware of yet and you don't want it to spread. I hope all goes well. Jean

everyone is completely fine!!! even the one that we think may have lost some weight (I really think she just looks smaller because the chicks are 14wks and bigger than her now) really strange. just a big clot? I was wrong on who laid though, I got 7 of the 8 eggs the one missing was our ee so it may have been her since she does lay in that spot. idk.

i once did have a hen lay an egg that looked fine on the outside but when i broke it open it was nothing but blood and the hen was fine so i don't know maybe just something that happens good luck

first it was not an egg. no shell. my best guess is egg sized clot. my only consolation is that in googling online there was 1 post elsewhere that seemed the same and she had taken the hen to vets w/no answers and seemingly nothing wrong and she got zero responses so here's to hoping it was a fluke. Im hoping maybe being litterally coop'd up the last couple weeks because of lots of snow and little to no exercise caused it and now that she is freeranging again will be OK? maybe going from range to layer feed only? thanks guys and Ill let you know if there are more!

I just found this thread after searching all over to figure out what is wrong with one of my hens. I have found two "meat chunks" in the coop and i actually saw one of my hens lay one of them. Its like a piece of chicken meat - even has the pinkish dimpled skin on the outside. Completely not an egg, no shell, no eggy-ness at all, but its being laid like one. I have no idea what is going on, but it is really gross. If anyone else has experienced this before, I'd love to know. The hen that laid them is the weakest one- definitely bottom of the pecking order, but she doesn't seem otherwise sick.
Thanks!

Quote:
I would isolate that hen. Now. Give her good food, water and treats and see what happens after a week.

Back
Top Bottom