1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Layena to HIGH

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DLS, Aug 14, 2008.

1. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I am feeding layena & the price is going up every trip to the feed store. I am thinking on swiching to a more less expensive brand. What can I expect? And what is the best way to do it?
    Thanks
    D

2. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I think as long as you hit all of the important nutrients that there's nothing wrong with a less expensive feed. Then again, I think there's a big difference between different dog foods, and they're probably regulated for certain nutrients. [​IMG]

When I've switched food, mmy chickens haven't seemed to care, they just pig out. [​IMG] If you're concerned about it, you could always mix the last bit of this brand with the first of your next type. I had to sprinkle a bit of scratch on my layer feed to get my Muscovy hen to start eating it, and she loves the layer mix by itself now.

3. DLS

what about shifting to PELLETS? can I do that & I hear there is less waste?how big are the pellets? like rabbit food?

4. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Pellet feed is about the size of rabbit feed. My chickens where on crumbles, but I started giving them pellet feed to see if there was less waste. And they didn't care.

5. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    The pellets are not large. I'm not familiar with rabbit food, but they seem to be the same size as guinea pig food if I remember correctly. My 8-wk old standard chicks had no problems with them.

6. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Some chicken have a preference for mash, crumbles or pellets, but I've never had a problem either way. I think I switched my birds to pellets at 6 or 7 weeks old last year. And I'd have to say similar in size to rabbit feed.

7. DLS

should I ask for laying pellets? or mash?

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Laying pellets. Mash and crumble is wasteful to me. Everyone eats pellets or goes hungry.[​IMG]

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I just switched my 20 wk. olds over to the Layena laying pellets from the grower crumbles a week or so ago. At first they acted like they were offended, but now they are eating them with no problem! They are about the size of rabbit pellets, just like everyone has already stated. Maybe my chickens just needed to figure out how to eat them, I don't know! All is good here with the pellets now and I think that it has been less wasteful so far. I feel like I'm having to fill the feeder less frequently anyways. I guess you could try the pellets first before you switch feed brands if you are worried about quality.

10. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    my little seramas have a tough time time with pellets-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by