Layena to HIGH

DLS

Songster
11 Years
Mar 15, 2008
100 miles SOUTH of Atlanta
I am feeding layena & the price is going up every trip to the feed store. I am thinking on swiching to a more less expensive brand. What can I expect? And what is the best way to do it?
Thanks
D

I think as long as you hit all of the important nutrients that there's nothing wrong with a less expensive feed. Then again, I think there's a big difference between different dog foods, and they're probably regulated for certain nutrients.
tongue.png

When I've switched food, mmy chickens haven't seemed to care, they just pig out.
lol.png
If you're concerned about it, you could always mix the last bit of this brand with the first of your next type. I had to sprinkle a bit of scratch on my layer feed to get my Muscovy hen to start eating it, and she loves the layer mix by itself now.

Pellet feed is about the size of rabbit feed. My chickens where on crumbles, but I started giving them pellet feed to see if there was less waste. And they didn't care.

The pellets are not large. I'm not familiar with rabbit food, but they seem to be the same size as guinea pig food if I remember correctly. My 8-wk old standard chicks had no problems with them.

Some chicken have a preference for mash, crumbles or pellets, but I've never had a problem either way. I think I switched my birds to pellets at 6 or 7 weeks old last year. And I'd have to say similar in size to rabbit feed.

I just switched my 20 wk. olds over to the Layena laying pellets from the grower crumbles a week or so ago. At first they acted like they were offended, but now they are eating them with no problem! They are about the size of rabbit pellets, just like everyone has already stated. Maybe my chickens just needed to figure out how to eat them, I don't know! All is good here with the pellets now and I think that it has been less wasteful so far. I feel like I'm having to fill the feeder less frequently anyways. I guess you could try the pellets first before you switch feed brands if you are worried about quality.

Back
Top Bottom