Layer Crumbles or Pellets?

Pellets, less wasted. Sometimes when I switch from their starter/grower crumbles to the pellets, I mix some of the crumbles in with the pellets. I have had some birds that adjust fine and I have had some birds that wouldn't eat the pellets. They will eat some when they get hungry enough. I found that if I mix some crumbles in they will eat it better. Eventually no crumbles and just pellets.

Last edited:
Quote:
What is sweet feed? I have been thinking that I would like to start mixing up a feed for my silkies. I have been looking for some kind of other grain type mix to throw in there, and I wonder if sweet feed would work.

Last edited:
Quote:
I concur, I have a hanging feeder in the run with crumbles, no waste at all...scratch and seeds go to the ground and get eaten quickly..no waste. Spend the $ and get a good galvanized feeder you can hang...

Quote:
What is sweet feed? I have been thinking that I would like to start mixing up a feed for my silkies. I have been looking for some kind of other grain type mix to throw in there, and I wonder if sweet feed would work.

We feed sweet feed to our horse...didn't know people gave it to their chickens...interesting.

I feed my hens and my pullets (and roosters) Flock Raiser Crumbles. I love it. They look amazing and shiny on it and my eggs are perfect even though I offer little calcium (their own egg shells crushed to almost powder every 3-4 days) I have never had a sick chicken or any concern. If it aint broke....
wink.png

They get 2 cups of scratch every other day and usually almost every day they get 2 or 3 tomatoes, a cucumber or squash. Our garden is growing like crazy and we have a ton of leftovers right now. They go crazy for tomatoes.

I forgot to say I have a trough feeder style system to feed them. They stand at the fence with their head through big special squares cut in the fencing, and they eat through the trough that's on the other side of the fence. There is no digging, no spilling. There is never any wasted. Before that, we wasted SO much in a big chicken feeder from Co-op.

Back
Top Bottom