Layer Feed Suggestions

Purina and Nutrena are good. I'm cheap, so I buy my feed store's house brand.
https://farmerswarehouse.com/
View attachment 3118696
WOW. That's better than I feed my own birds. 1.0% Lysine, 0.5% Methionine, 0.95% Phosphorus? Those are remarkable good numbers . and only 1.7% fat - leaves room for "treats". if desired, or the uncertainties of a free-range diet.

Still too much Calcium for my roos - but for a layer feed, that's remarkable.

Oh man, $32 a bag would be awesome and I would totally keep feeding them it for that price! That's awesome!!

Thank you so much to you and everyone else for the suggestions. I will definitely be upping the protein from here on out! =)
I know! I was looking at prices online and was thinking I could never feed them that. When I saw it for 32$ I was shocked!
Your welcome.

I normally buy my feed from Southern States. They did have their own brand, but now most of it's Cargill (Nutrena). I like an all flock type feed, but it has become quite pricey here, so have unfortunately switched to layer for all current birds. So far, I have not had any issues.

Good morning all - I am fairly new to raising chickens and have a flock of 12 hens. I bought them as pullets and the lady I bought them from was feeding fermented Scratch and Peck. To try to lower the cost, I switched to Home Fresh Extra Egg Layer. They seem to love it, but since the switch I have noticed a change in feathers (just not as shiny and some feather picking) along with some random illnesses.... but that could be our crazy Colorado weather :idunnoI also can't buy it locally and TSC charges $15+ for shipping.
Would love to hear everyone's favorite brands (or brands to stay away from).... Especially from the experts @azygous @casportpony @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

Thank you all!!!
I absolutely LOVE the Scratch & Peck feed- I buy it off of Chewy.com; that is what I have feeding mine since I got chickens 4 years ago. Knock on wood- they've never had any illnesses. But like you- I'd love to find feed a little more reasonably priced. I've tried different ones here and there but then I pour it in their feeder and look at the compressed pellets and it almost makes me sick the difference in quality from that and the Scratch & Peck. I also love the fact that Scratch & Peck is Soy free and non -GMO. Gheez its costing us a fortune to feed our chickens good food. They are our pets so they don't provide meat for us. The eggs are great, but its not like we're making any money off of them to give back to the "feed fund". I wish I knew of another even good quality feed to recommend to give you- but I'm in the same boat as you are. Our saving grace is that if we were to go to a lesser quality feed, our chickens also get to free range, and we also supplement with lots of other good treats such as cabbages, broccoli, sunflower seeds, berries and melons- so I feel like they would still be getting great nutrition. I'm torn for sure!!!

I absolutely LOVE the Scratch & Peck feed- I buy it off of Chewy.com; that is what I have feeding mine since I got chickens 4 years ago. Knock on wood- they've never had any illnesses. But like you- I'd love to find feed a little more reasonably priced.
I feed Scratch and Peck too! I love it. Just wanted to mention, if you can find it locally its much much cheeper. On Chewy its almost $70 a bag right now! I can get it at my local feed store for $32. The prices are rising right now so its $47 currently, but typically I can find it for $32 at my local feed store. Maybe you can do the same for S&P, I can't imagine buying it off Chewy, its super expensive there.

I absolutely LOVE the Scratch & Peck feed- I buy it off of Chewy.com; that is what I have feeding mine since I got chickens 4 years ago. Knock on wood- they've never had any illnesses. But like you- I'd love to find feed a little more reasonably priced. I've tried different ones here and there but then I pour it in their feeder and look at the compressed pellets and it almost makes me sick the difference in quality from that and the Scratch & Peck. I also love the fact that Scratch & Peck is Soy free and non -GMO. Gheez its costing us a fortune to feed our chickens good food. They are our pets so they don't provide meat for us. The eggs are great, but its not like we're making any money off of them to give back to the "feed fund". I wish I knew of another even good quality feed to recommend to give you- but I'm in the same boat as you are. Our saving grace is that if we were to go to a lesser quality feed, our chickens also get to free range, and we also supplement with lots of other good treats such as cabbages, broccoli, sunflower seeds, berries and melons- so I feel like they would still be getting great nutrition. I'm torn for sure!!!
It's a tough one... I want to give them a good quality feed, but also don't want to spend $150/mo to do it 😂 I do think I am going to take the gamble and let them free range for a few hours in the afternoon when I can be home to watch them. We live in the mountains with lots of predators, so I've been hesitant up to this point. But maybe they need some extra nutrients while they are recovering from all their illnesses 🤷‍♀️

It's a tough one... I want to give them a good quality feed, but also don't want to spend $150/mo to do it 😂 I do think I am going to take the gamble and let them free range for a few hours in the afternoon when I can be home to watch them. We live in the mountains with lots of predators, so I've been hesitant up to this point. But maybe they need some extra nutrients while they are recovering from all their illnesses 🤷‍♀️
You can purchase mobile poultry netting from Premier 1. It has a solar powdered charger you can hook up. Not protected from arial predators, but keeps ground predators out.
Not the cheepest, but worth it for your peace of mind. I've been meaning to get some. :)

Back
Top Bottom