Layer feed?

Studio2770

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Well, is layer feed really necessary? My pullets should start laying soon. They are on grower/finisher feed and they free range almost all day. I may feed them egg shells or oyster shells when they start laying.

Of course not. There isn't anything magical about Layer. It is essentially a 16% protein Grower or Raiser with added Calcium, ground right in, that's it.

Many folks prefer feeding their entire flock an All Flock, GameBird Grower or Flock Raiser to everyone. Makes life much easier. A Calcium source in a side dish for the laying hens and done.

Thanks, I thought so. You answered my second question about calcium, I'll feed them crushed egg shells.

So your eggs are great even without layer feed?
My answer to that is, it depends. I tried putting my flock on a flock raiser type feed at one time. I have oyster shell available at all times. Problem is, I have a couple hens who apparently don't eat a sufficient amount of the oyster shell and I started getting thin shells. Put them all back on layer feed and the problem disappeared. Just something to watch for if you go that route.

My answer to that is, it depends. I tried putting my flock on a flock raiser type feed at one time. I have oyster shell available at all times. Problem is, I have a couple hens who apparently don't eat a sufficient amount of the oyster shell and I started getting thin shells. Put them all back on layer feed and the problem disappeared. Just something to watch for if you go that route.

Since only 2 out of 5 of my pullets are laying, I may stick with egg shells only and wait on the layer feed. Then again, it'll be a couple weeks before the youngest starts laying, she barely has red in her face.

Back
Top Bottom