Layer or Grower Feed?

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
I’ve read conflicting content on what to feed my girls. All are young and laying. What is better - layer feed + crushed eggshells or grower feed + crushed eggshells?

I read that if they’re on layer feed, they don’t need extra calcium and giving it to them can cause kidney issues. But I crush my girls’ shells up daily and they eat them all in the same day.

What sayeth the experts?

It likely depends on how many eggs they are laying. Layer feed is about 4% calcium. All other feeds are about 1%. Layer feed is not a one size fits all situation. A bird laying one egg a week may not need more than what is in grower feed. One laying perhaps 4 or 5 eggs a week would do fine on layer feed. One that lays every day may need more than what is in layer feed.
Oyster shell and eggs shells are both calcium carbonate. What makes OS preferable is that the particle size is larger than crushed egg shells.
As long as they are all laying, I wouldn't worry about them getting too much calcium.
Those that don't feel the need for extra calcium likely won't even consume the egg shells.

I am not an expert, but will still share what I know. Layer food doesn't have too much calcium for hens that are actually laying. Many hens need more calcium than what the feed provides, so that is why shells are also needed on the side. The hens are usually very good at taking only what they need. For roos, chicks, and hens that are not currently laying there have been some studies that showed the extra calcium in layer food can build up over time. So feeding grower (or flock raiser) with the calcium on the side may be the better way for every member of the flock to get the right calcium amount. Calcium amounts are not the only thing to consider when deciding how to feed a flock.

Thanks, all! My girls are once a day layers, although slowing down to once every other day with the short days (except the Austra White who is still a machine). I’ll keep the layer feed + eggshells!

I’ve read conflicting content on what to feed my girls. All are young and laying. What is better - layer feed + crushed eggshells or grower feed + crushed eggshells?

I read that if they’re on layer feed, they don’t need extra calcium and giving it to them can cause kidney issues. But I crush my girls’ shells up daily and they eat them all in the same day.

What sayeth the experts?
For me as a first time owner..I'm getting duel propose chicks in May. Do they have feed for that? Its a bit confusing . Good luck to you as you try to figure it out.

Thank you so much.
No problem.
Sorry, I meant "All-flock feed". All flock feed can be ideal for dual purpose flocks, flocks with a mixture of roosters and hens, an all-rooster flock, and flocks that include multiple types of foul (turkeys, guineas, etc.).

This type of feed can be found at your local feed store or TSC. I use all flock for my flock of hens and roosters and I've found Purina to be my favorite brand.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom