Layer or pretender

WindyLookout

Songster
Oct 1, 2019
Ontario, Canada
One of my hens is a white hen I believe to be a Sussex or Columbiana. Really not sure but when I bought her the lad said his hens were laying. I have never seen her lay though I see her in the nest box often. I don't think she's broody and I've had her for at least 4 months now. Can I tell if she's actually laying without isolating her? I have checked her vent and it's not dry. It compares to the ones I know are laying. I fear she'll be heading for the pot soon.

Have you checked pelvic points?
Are you positive she's not laying...maybe you are expecting a different colored egg?
Can be hard to 'catch them in the act'.
I know she's over a year old and I'm under the impression she is too old to lay. I have read that yellow legs and bright red comb means their not laying. I've rarely seen her comb a slight faded tone. Then again I just read a tread about 12yr old hen that's still laying. Most of my hens aren't old enough to lay yet so I don't have many to compare her to. She is part of my first 3 hens. The other 2 are a black sexlink and a polish mix. I get one very very large brown egg 4 times a week and sometimes I get a long white egg. Who ever is laying the white egg is very inconsistant and can't make up her mind.

I had bought my youngest nephew and his son five started pullets back in May. They had not begun laying eggs as of yet which to me was pretty unusual since they had been hatched around April 1st so they were 6.5 months old. Then last night I received a call from my nephew who excitedly told me he had gotten 4 eggs yesterday. And then my almost 3 years old great nephew got on the phone and told me he was going to eat those eggs for breakfast this morning. Now my nephew is talking about wanting more hens... the chicken math family tradition begins anew.

I know she's over a year old and I'm under the impression she is too old to lay.
Too old?
How far over a year old?

I have read that yellow legs and bright red comb means their not laying.
Bright red combs usually means they are laying.
The leg thing is tricky, takes great experience to use that as an indicator.
Check the space between the pelvic points....F-F in this article:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

The other 2 are a black sexlink and a polish mix. I get one very very large brown egg 4 times a week and sometimes I get a long white egg. Who ever is laying the white egg is very inconsistant and can't make up her mind.
Large brown are probably from the sexlinks, and I thin polish lay white eggs.

Another thing to keep in mind is that birds older than a year may have ceased laying due to the shortening days of fall.

I see you also may have a lice problem:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/polish-hen-and-lice.1334994/

I checked the link. I've been looking at the pubic to breast distance which for her there's plenty. I'll check the pelvic distance tmrw. I did notice she seems quite fleshy in that area. Don't know if that's a good sign, a breed thing or something else.

Back
Top Bottom