Layer Pellets for Roosters?

The calcium in layer is excessive for s bird not laying (ie males) and will accumulate in the body causing damage to systems that can contribute to early demise. Many folks accept that and feed layer, those not willing to do that choose a feed appropriate for the nutritional needs of all the birds (grower, all flock, flock raiser) and provide the calcium needed by laying birds through oyster shell, etc instead of the feed

So
The calcium in layer is excessive for s bird not laying (ie males) and will accumulate in the body causing damage to systems that can contribute to early demise. Many folks accept that and feed layer, those not willing to do that choose a feed appropriate for the nutritional needs of all the birds (grower, all flock, flock raiser) and provide the calcium needed by laying birds through oyster shell, etc instead of the feed
So the rooster would not go for the oyster shell? The reason I ask is I have 3 pullets, 10 weeks old: a rooster and two hens. Right now, they are on starter feed, but when they are 18 weeks old, I'd like to start them on egg laying mash. But I see here, that I should use "all flock" and just add a side dish of oyster shell? won't the rooster eat it, too?

Myself, I feed a mixture of laying pellets, oats, whole shelled flint corn (when available), other grains, and foods like dog & cat food, pig chow, calf manna, rabbet food, and or catfish food. Sometimes I use scratch food in place of the "other grains". I add the feed by portions to a cement mixer and in seconds it is effectively mixed.

So

So the rooster would not go for the oyster shell? The reason I ask is I have 3 pullets, 10 weeks old: a rooster and two hens. Right now, they are on starter feed, but when they are 18 weeks old, I'd like to start them on egg laying mash. But I see here, that I should use "all flock" and just add a side dish of oyster shell? won't the rooster eat it, too?
I'm pretty sure your cockerel won't eat the oyster shell if he doesn't need the extra calcium.

IMO, it matters little whether you feed layer or multi-flock to your rooster. Many folks use only layer for their adult birds, including their roos. If you did a poll, I think you'd find that most roos live to a ripe old age, when on a layer feed diet, unless they die of un-natural causes. (predation, meeting up with a sharp object)

Back
Top Bottom