layer pellets vs. layer crumbles

I've found that my chickens all prefer crumbles. I think it's because they love to eat, and crumbles makes the joy last longer.

Seriously, I've also read that chickens fed crumbles tend to be a more contented and mellow flock.

I switched to crumble because I actually had a hen choke on the pellets. I was told by a breeder to always use crumble, it is easier for them to digest.
hmm.png

I just switched mine from crumble to pellets and it took a day for them to figure it out. I also switched from a dog feeder bowl to the hanging feeder, so it was a double whammy for them. But once I shows the girls what it was, and our roo gave his seal of approval, all was fine. I also notice less waste.

Price seems the same at TSC for crumbles or pellets. I go pellets because I hated the waste of crumbles. The birds scatter it all over.

Quote:
There is less processing time in crumble than in pellet.

Chris

Really? Because sometimes I notice in the crumbles there are a few whole pellets left - I always just guessed that they made the pellets, then ground them for the crumbles...huh...the feed store I use sells them at the same price though...maybe they do it different at the feed place I use?

I'm sorry I should have explained that a little better.
The least expensive form of feed is a mash type feed, all ingredients are simply ground together and then bagged.
The second form of feed and more expensive than mash but less expensive than pelleted feed is crumble feed, crumbles are the crumbled form of a non-graded pellet.
Third form of feed and most expensive is pelleted feed starts out as a mass but then run through a extruder that makes the mash into a pellet and only whole pellets are bagged.

The extra processing time that is in pelleted feed would be the "grading".

the feed store I use sells them at the same price though...maybe they do it different at the feed place I use?

Or babe the feed store that you use is just over pricing there crumble feed. (trying to make more money)

Chris​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom