Laying Age Mixed Flock - when did your girls lay first?

When they are darn well and ready! :D
Time of year and diet can make a difference...but anywhere between 18-28 weeks.

I'm on track for all pullets so far, but backyardchickens has taught me to not count on hens until eggs are laid!
Pullets aren't hens until they are one year old ;)

At 20 weeks/5 months, our first egg came from our Barred Rock, Keiko. As of today, the girls are 21 weeks, and we have 6 eggs from two of the girls (3 from Keiko and 3 from Patty, one of our Buff Orpingtons). We also had 2 oopsie eggs that were dropped from the roosts overnight, but we have not been able to identify who they came from.
20210810_173210.jpg

Keiko's whopper.

20210812_075017.jpg

Nighttime accidents (very thin shelled).

20210814_122950.jpg

The top row is Keiko/Barred Rock and the bottom row is Patty/Buff Orpington.

This is so exciting, I'm so proud of my girls! (Or should I say eggsciting... I'll show myself out)

My Silkie cross (Henny-Penny) laid her first egg at around 16 weeks - I am told that is young for Silkies; and the wee gal has given me an egg a day pretty much since she start laying about 10 days ago! Awesome gal :)

Of interest are my niece's barn-yard mix chicks, the little roosters started crowing around 7 weeks - I think that is rather young as my Silkie roosters didn't start till 16 weeks. The chicks are now 8 weeks and the 4 roosters are crowing like champions!

Back
Top Bottom