Laying and Mating Questions

Southern28Chick

Flew The Coop
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
My girls are 12 weeks old today. Very young, I know. When should I supply nest boxes? When can I let my 1 year old sexually frustrated roo out of his area and let him FINALLY be with the girls? He's been by himself for 7 weeks!!! He's in the same chicken yard but he's divided by a fence.

I'm certainly no expert but I put a little dark brahma batam roo with mine at nine or ten weeks. He's been good with them ... ignoring them mostly but still warning everyone if a hawk flies over. The twelve weekers are starting to display more adult like in behavior and he is beginning to court them. I might try putting your roo in and seeing how it goes. If he becomes aggressive, you can always take him out until the gals get a little older and start laying. My roo is three years old and had not been with females for quite some time. So far he's been a gentleman. He hasn't jumped any of the 12 weekers yet - just dances and offer them treats. My only problem with him has been his chasing my leghorn hen. She's skittish and I think he's frustrated by her avoidance of his advances. He isn't hurting her but if he does ... I may limit his time in the lot.

Trisha, I'd put in the nestboxes just prior to them laying, maybe 16 or 17 weeks, so they could investigate them and be comfy with them, but you can put them in anytime you want.
At 12 weeks, they are still a bit young for your rooster to be with, but it sort of depends on his temperament. My rooster Hawkeye is around youngsters all the time and doesn't try to mate them, but my other young roo, Suede, would probably try to mate a six week old, the big pervert. Maybe it's because Hawkeye is older, but maybe it's his laid back personality, too. You want the girls to be large enough that if he does try something, they won't be hurt. I think maybe I would wait till they are at least another three weeks. You could try to let him out briefly and see what happens, but keep a close eye out on him.

I think with a mature roo it is best to wait til your pullets are 20 weeks old. Being mature like he is it is best to give your pullets a chance to become full grown. Once he gets a handle on the women you will know that even full size hens take quite a never ending, I can't believe he just can't get enough.

bigzio

All my hens were laying at 4 months old. I bought them March 1 approximately and had eggs around the first of July. I have been told this is a little early, but bantam breeds start younger. I put in the nesting shelf at about 16 weeks and I think I waited too long. Some of them use it, some don't. I would recommend sooner so they get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom