Laying box Ideas for the coop. How innovative are yours? Check out my Junkyard find turn laying box.

Dec 30, 2018
SC, Low Country
I thought it would be fun and helpful to see what others have made chicken laying boxes out of.
I found a old cedar chest at the dump when taking my trash so I though I could convert it into a outdoor winter cat house. I installed a cat door at one end but the cat would have nothing to do with it.
So I've now knocked off the short support on the bottom and cut two hen size openings in the front to make a laying box. I'm going to set it on top of some cinder blocks and the lid opens for egg collecting or cleaning. I stood back and looked at my creation and thought how red neck could I be! Ha,ha! My son said I ruined a perfectly fine cedar chest but I say it's not ruined if it still has a purpose! One man's junk is another's treasure! ;)

So share your recycled or innovative laying boxes!

Attachments

• Red neck chicken laying box.jpg
    Red neck chicken laying box.jpg
    558.9 KB · Views: 87
Here's the final product! 🥳 Chickens are happy! Whoohoo!
The top lifts up just like the chest originally operated to make gathering eggs easier. I put it in the run with my new leghorns that have not started to lay yet. Can't wait to see the first egg from them. I never had white egg layers before. 😊
All the material added to the chest except the paint ($14.00) were stuff we had laying around the shed so other than time, material was no additional cost. 🙌

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_113559057.jpg
    IMG_20200706_113559057.jpg
    759.1 KB · Views: 31

Back
Top Bottom