Laying eggs on the open lawn

bramble16

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
Hi,

We have 2 sussex cross hens, Korma and Karala. Korma has just started laying eggs 4 weeks after her sister, Karala, who lays in the nest box . Just this week, Korma has started to go into the nest box for an hour or so, give up, come out and then lay smack in the middle of our lawn proudly announcing her egg with a loud rendition of the egg song. This has happened 3 days on the trot - how can I get her to copy her sister and lay in the nesting box. We have fake plastic eggs in there already - any ideas?
Many thanks
bramble16

You might try picking her eggs up and placing them in the nesting box also. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Or you could try and wait it out. She might not fully grasp what the signs are just yet although it sounds like she's aware. hmm.

thanks -we also thought that if we see her in the nest box we could shut her in the coop for an hour or so or until there is an egg? or do you think this might scare her?

hmm well I honestly don't know about that. I guess you can try it and see how it goes? Every hen is different so it might work. Either way I wish you the best of luck!

thank you very much! We are v excited to be getting eggs as we have managed to raise two roosters before these hens - sold to us in error - so we are grateful to know we have 2 girls this time...it would jut be great if the eggs arrived in the boxes!

Haha I totally understand. I was extremely excited when my hens started laying eggs. Unfortunately my hens all broke their eggs due to thin shells for the first couple of eggs. the situation quickly righted itself though. Keep us updated on how it goes?

Update! This morning I saw korma go into the net box so I shut her in. She sat for an hour or so and then got up and I let her out. The egg was there! Regrettably, a soft shell egg this time but at least she laid in the box. 4 days on the trot as a new layer so we are pleased overall. Hoping that might have done the trick. She wasn't distressed at all. Thanks for the advice.

Update! This morning I saw korma go into the net box so I shut her in. She sat for an hour or so and then got up and I let her out. The egg was there! Regrettably, a soft shell egg this time but at least she laid in the box. 4 days on the trot as a new layer so we are pleased overall. Hoping that might have done the trick. She wasn't distressed at all. Thanks for the advice.
I didn't really help, but I'm super happy it worked! I hope it's permanent too.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom