Laying eggs without shells (not rubber eggs, eggs without shells)

Yes, true I only out a half. Tsp in a gallon of water 3 times a week and my flock is 10 hens 1 Roo . It's the Adams unfiltered applle cider vinegar . Really just for worms. I had not used it in the few days prior but now we are back on track. So that's good:) thank you for info in appreciate it!

as a newbie to this. Yesterday evening we found a egg all intact without the shell, on the path. We put them to bed and this morning have found another egg without the shell in the nesting box. We are puzzled. We have had a hen that was given to us, about 3 months ago, who has not laid an egg, and who has exhibited behaviours and a personality of her own. We think she is pretty old but we can't tell. She does as she pleases, (Brenda we called her) and docent mix with the 4 other hens who we bought about two weeks after Brenda. We chose to keep her and she/s my husbands favourite. The 4 have formed their own flock, but that docent bother Brenda. My questions are could this possibly be Brenda, who has gone through a "brooding" stage - could the eggs with the shells be hers? We have just over the past three days discovered one of the eggs have gone from brown to white? Not sure whats happening here? I'd appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, feedback. If they are sick (and they don't seem to be) apart from Brenda who at times looks a bit melancholy, Id like to get this sorted. thanks

frow.gif
welcome to BYC I dont know much if anything about your eggs, just wanted to say welcome.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my girl for her egg not to close all the way. A day or so before this she laid one while she was roosting and it did not have a shell but was busted like in the pic above.Thanks for any help. Just want to make sure if I she is OK or should I take her to the doctor.

Is the egg squishy? She might need more calcium. You could put out some oyster shells, or ground up eggshells. Though, that one looks like someone sat on it (or pecked it). If they break that easily, it may be she needs more calcium.

Is the egg squishy? She might need more calcium. You could put out some oyster shells, or ground up eggshells. Though, that one looks like someone sat on it (or pecked it). If they break that easily, it may be she needs more calcium.
I do ground up their egg shells & put them in scrambled eggs. I have not given them oyester shell. Will try that. Well I guess I will just feed that one back to her. This is her second time. Thanks for the info

At this time of year when they are coming back into lay after winter it's more common to see the odd formed egg as they get back into the swing of it.
Oyster shell should be offered in a seperate feeder/bowl so they can take what they need. A lot of people pop used egg shells into a hot oven to kill bacteria then crush and feed back to them too.
If she's youngish and healthy it's probably a blip. If she's off colour then respiratory problems can affect the state of the shell.

Best wishes x

At this time of year when they are coming back into lay after winter it's more common to see the odd formed egg as they get back into the swing of it.
Oyster shell should be offered in a seperate feeder/bowl so they can take what they need. A lot of people pop used egg shells into a hot oven to kill bacteria then crush and feed back to them too.
If she's youngish and healthy it's probably a blip. If she's off colour then respiratory problems can affect the state of the shell.

Best wishes x
Thanks Shabana, she is healthy, o coloration on her.. I have put oyster shell out for her.. I have one that is laying good, one is still laying shelless eggs and one is laying very thin eggs. I have done everything I know to do. I have cleaned the coops, exchanged their bedding, gave them oyster shell, laywr feed, grain, cooked egg shell beforw giving it to them. So they have plenty of stuff for calcium.. Oh and even fresh water daily.. It is starting to worry me. It has been 2 months since the last post and not much has changed..
I love my girls and

Back
Top Bottom