laying poults

justcluckin

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 8, 2013
I just found a very small egg in with my laying eggs. My 8 poults are 10 weeks old at the latest. They are in the same run and coop but, separated by wire with their own entrance. We let them out to free range with the older girls only three times. One ( the one I suspect laid the tiny egg) has been finding her way into the hen's coop and space. Checking things out. The other night I caught her roosting on the wire between the big girls and little girls. And then one of our 30 week old girls was in the poult's side. A few other little girls have ventured over to the hen's side. I was thinking they are showing me they are ready to be with the big girls. So last night I took away the boundary fence and today I found the tiny egg. Should I keep them separate still? I have 3 buffs & 1 aracauna who are 3 years old and 2 RIR that are 30 weeks. The poults run from the hens when they make a gesture at them, but otherwise no breaking of skin or lost feathers. Any suggestions? My 3 buffs are also only laying 1 egg a day betweenthe three of them . . .if we're lucky. We just inherited them a few months ago and never got more than 1 -2 a day.

welcome-byc.gif
It sounds as if the introduction of the new birds is going smoothly. I see no reason to separate them unless serious damage is being done. My guess is that rather than one of the pullets laying early one of the older hens laid a 'fart' egg. Such eggs are sometimes an indication that a hen is ending a laying cycle.

Once the pullets start laying the older hens seem to accept then into the flock. Just like with everything else some pullets figure this out quicker than others.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom