Laying questions

Lisawbsn

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
Most of my girls started laying a week ago, we have had 9 eggs in 8 days, 3 on one of those days! My questions are is laying in the late afternoon odd, after 2 pm? Of my 10 girls only 7 are ready to lay, the first was Aileen 8 days ago, I believe that Zelda my other EE laid on Wen. because the egg was a different color more green. Aileen has gone 8 days now if I’m correct. Is this normal? All are laying in the nest boxes only Aileen laid her’s on the coop floor, they are not free range and I clean the coop and run every evening so I know there is no hidden stash. I have only seen Aileen and an Australorp, Siobhan, lay so I am going by behavior and guessing based on shell color on who all is laying. This would be 2 EE, 2 BR, 2 Australorps, and 1 BO. Are the laying times off? Is this normal for new layers? All are 22 weeks old.

Nothing is unusual in the beginning! :) There are a lot of different parts that must reach optimal health & maturity, then get synchronized with one another, to make the perfect egg. It often takes several weeks to a couple of months for laying to even out & become reliable. If you're in the northern hemisphere, since the girls just started laying, they should lay all winter long.

I'm sorry, What's your question? I'm having a hard time finding it in what appears to me a complicated word problem. (I just woke up, it's probably just me)
It's not unusual for chickens to lay at any time if day or for new layers to lay sporadically.
That was pretty much my question. To really confuse me both Australorps just laid an egg. 11 eggs now in 8 days! Still have 3 girls not quite ready yet, so exciting!

Nothing is unusual in the beginning! :) There are a lot of different parts that must reach optimal health & maturity, then get synchronized with one another, to make the perfect egg. It often takes several weeks to a couple of months for laying to even out & become reliable. If you're in the northern hemisphere, since the girls just started laying, they should lay all winter long.
Yes, 50 miles south of Chicago. I am just a worrier. I love these girls so much and want to do the very best for them.

Rule #1 of chickens is "Chickens do what they want". They don't care what your chicken book says. They don't give a half a crap what the experts say. They just do their own thing. That said, laying in the afternoon is normal and being that they are new layers you may get quite a few other surprises. Double yolk eggs... Normal. An occasional egg with no shell... Normal. Their bodies are just starting to get the whole egg production thing figured out. Feel free to ask about anything that seems odd, but don't stress on it. It's all just part of the process.

Eggs can be laid at any time of the day but chickens do seem wired to lay mostly in the morning. As it takes more than 24 hours (26-27 is average) for an egg to be formed they'll usually lay a bit later each day until they reach late afternoon/evening, then hold it in to lay early the next morning.

Back
Top Bottom