Bananabread

Songster
8 Years
Mar 28, 2016
Bay Area
My Coop
My Coop
Coined a new term today.
Laying rent: The process by which a chicken slowly pays for its real estate.... just a couple dozen eggs to go and we have a mortgage. Any other landlords out there?

C5D09C0F-05D6-4EAE-9B26-584D3BC6246C_1_105_c.jpeg

Those eggs though! 🤩 Beautiful and unique colors you've got there.

After we got done building/setting up our first coop (6x4) and run (10x26) for  six
eight pullets (thanks for the extras, hatchery 🥲), PLUS all the perimeter fencing so they can free range in the yard 💰, my husband said, "These chickens better lay golden eggs..." 😅

Now I've convinced him that we need a 10x12 custom coop, another run, and double the # of chickens in the spring (because one MUST have a variety of colored eggs). "It'll be so worth it," I say, and my husband rolls his eyes because I HAVE lost my actual mind. 🐔😵‍💫💸

Me, throwing $$ at my chicken addiction:

:gig

What have we gotten ourselves into keeping chickens! :barnie:lau
😭😭

Before we built our house, my husband was all, "Now that we're going to have so much property, we can get chickens." And I was like, "Ew! No thanks, I do not want to have to take care of chickens." 🫷😒

Then, I was all, "Maybe we could get like 3 or 4." But the hatchery had a minimum order of 3 per breed and I couldn't get just ONE breed, that would be silly, so I ordered 3 each of two breeds (but we ended up with 8 because.... hatchery)...and it was all down hill from there! My husband helped with the set up and I literally take care of the chickens entirely by myself - never in a million years did this city girl imagine she'd become a chicken tender (and fall in love with "livestock" for the love of Pete!) 🥴

I literally don't know how many thousands $ we've spent on them, but it's several. :duc

I just keep thinking about the people who bought chickens when egg prices were so high, believing they were somehow going to save money - Whoopsiedoodle!
🙃🫣 :oops: :old

Those eggs though! 🤩 Beautiful and unique colors you've got there.

After we got done building/setting up our first coop (6x4) and run (10x26) for  six
eight pullets (thanks for the extras, hatchery 🥲), PLUS all the perimeter fencing so they can free range in the yard 💰, my husband said, "These chickens better lay golden eggs..." 😅

Now I've convinced him that we need a 10x12 custom coop, another run, and double the # of chickens in the spring (because one MUST have a variety of colored eggs). "It'll be so worth it," I say, and my husband rolls his eyes because I HAVE lost my actual mind. 🐔😵‍💫💸

Me, throwing $$ at my chicken addiction:
:gig

What have we gotten ourselves into keeping chickens! :barnie:lau

Back
Top Bottom