Laying while roosting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by egay, Jan 21, 2014.

1. egay

egay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    So we have 3 first year laying golden sex links. Over the course of the last few months we've found an egg once a week or every other in the droppings board broken. We thought it had been kicked out of the box and we had the beginnings of an egg eater. I thought we weren't getting out to let them out early enough in the morning.

This morning,I had to leave extra early and went out while it was still pitch black. There was an egg right under one of their bums broke on the droppings board. Is this common? Is she having trouble laying during the day?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It happens sometimes.

3. abserbean

abserbean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    Florida
    My RSL had this problem for a while. She started in the nest box, then for months she would lay while roosting. Nothing I tried really helped, but she eventually stopped on her own. I think it is mostly a first year thing, immature layers, and from what I can tell most grow out of it. I put a think layer of shavings under her to catch the egg for a while, and just had to wash it off. Hope she figures it out soon!

4. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    That it interesting!

5. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    I find an egg like this once in awhile, except most of the time it isn't broken. Abserbean has a good idea there, putting a thick pile of shavings or other cushion under her to catch the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by