1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laziest Chickens in Town

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joebryant, Oct 27, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Is it just mine or is this common? I went out at 9:30 to let my four chickens out of the coop and into the run with the gate open so that they could go into the yard to run and play; they're in the yard now. The lazy things did not come off the roost until 10:00 A.M.
    We're in the beginning of a cold spell today, first one; it's 41 degrees now, coldest morning yet. I stepped into the coop, and it didn't feel all that cool, at least not enough for them to just sit on the roost staring at me.

2. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are yammering at 5:30am to get outside.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Joe, isn't this the second time you've complained that your chickens don't march off to the salt mines every day at dawn to earn their keep? Perhaps you should have been tougher on them when they were chicks. It's too late to change them now. Maybe next time you raise chicks, you'll have them goose-stepping around the yard at 2 weeks, and growing their own oats & corn at 4 weeks.

4. smileybritches

smileybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

they were waitin on that warm oatmeal:D

5. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    There seems to be a pattern here, Joe. What with the warm-water foot baths, saunas, thermostatically-controlled roosts, and caviar mixed with scratch, why would they come out?

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:How do you do that?
    How DO you do that?
    Edit: God knows I did my best to be a good disciplinarian!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by