Laziest Chickens in Town

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
Is it just mine or is this common? I went out at 9:30 to let my four chickens out of the coop and into the run with the gate open so that they could go into the yard to run and play; they're in the yard now. The lazy things did not come off the roost until 10:00 A.M.
We're in the beginning of a cold spell today, first one; it's 41 degrees now, coldest morning yet. I stepped into the coop, and it didn't feel all that cool, at least not enough for them to just sit on the roost staring at me.

Joe, isn't this the second time you've complained that your chickens don't march off to the salt mines every day at dawn to earn their keep? Perhaps you should have been tougher on them when they were chicks. It's too late to change them now. Maybe next time you raise chicks, you'll have them goose-stepping around the yard at 2 weeks, and growing their own oats & corn at 4 weeks.

There seems to be a pattern here, Joe. What with the warm-water foot baths, saunas, thermostatically-controlled roosts, and caviar mixed with scratch, why would they come out?

Back
Top Bottom