Learn Your State's DOG LAWS

While checking those bylaws dog owners also need to look at what happens if a dog bites in defense of it's owner or property. In many areas it is a death sentence for a dog to do what it would naturally do in defense of the pack and territory.

Quote:
I would agree, if the dog is simply nosing around your place. But if he's attacking/killing your own animals, well, that changes everything.

Right, I would agree there.......

I think I would call the owner first, if the dog was merely loose and nosing around my place. No dog restraining system is fail proof 100% of the time.

If they were attacking my animals and had already killed one, I would kill with extreme prejudice. This indicates to me that this dog is not only able to escape his confines, but now has found a source of amusement when he does and will likely return the next time he slips his barriers.

My dogs are confined by a perimeter fence and an electric system but my older dog has managed to get out a time or two, despite this system. She is completely livestock safe and wouldn't bother another's chickens or sheep. I would appreciate a call from my neighbors if she was merely nosing around their property.

Having said that....

If she were chasing something of theirs (besides the cat) I would expect them to shoot her straight away and give me a call to come and get her. I would be sad but practical about the situation. She has cost me approx. $1100 over the years in vet bills, even though she was a free dog. I would still expect the neighbor to cancel her ticket!

I pity the dog that comes on my property, just nosing around or not...my dogs would send them packing with a little less fur and blood to carry along their way!
lol.png
big_smile.png

Thanks, Mr. Jeff; I copied the text to my "chicken" folder and will print out a copy for my neighbors.

My chickens are beloved pets and I will not tolerate any more of them being mangled or even harassed. I will confine and report the dog next time. If I see it in my yard after that, I will have to shoot it. I was the only neighbor that liked the dog, and I hate to kill it, but I really don't know what else to do.

Quote:
Yes, i grew up with both dogs and cats. I have always been a dog person, never had chickens till this march. In all of my years with dogs not once did they get out. I have a friend with over 17 years raising beagles and his dogs never get out either. They are an investment for him and he cares for them as such. I don't hate dogs but I can't take watching another dog kill any more of my babies for fun. Dogs can be and are wonderful companions but so are my chickens. Their rights do not come before mine and here we have strict laws about nuisance animals. Any dog on my property, tagged or not, threatening what is mine is considered a nuisance animal and if I don't kill it the sheriff/animal control will. Zero tolerance.

hi jenni2142...WOW!!... you've never had a dog escape..even once!!...
clap.gif
..you really deserve a medal or something..honestly!..good for you...you are a good dog mommy!...thanks for answering my question...
smile.png
.., Wendy

Last edited:
Dogs destroying property or acting aggressive are put down if they are on my property. One of those sweet baby (wouldn't hurt a fly) bulldogs charged at my niece when she was six years old on my property playing in her sandbox. When I intervened it tried to attack me and I chopped it between the eyes with a heavy mallet (no gun) . I had called the dog catcher on this dog several times about it ramming fences and acting aggressive when we tried to chase it away. The owners acted incompetent saying they couldn't help that it escaped all the time but it was harmless. Oddly enough the only predator problems I've ever had while owning chickens, ducks, rabbits, pigeons, goats were dogs on the loose.

If you dog is expensive or much loved keep it at home. I had dogs before and I kept them in a kennel not running loose.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes I would. My birds FEED my family with meat and eggs. My birds are an investment and I will protect that investment. It's comforting to see that Ohio's laws reflect that sentiment.

My birds don't go on the neighboring farm and I expect the same of their dog.

Back
Top Bottom