Learned something new!

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
I just learned that Labrador Retrievers decended from Newfies!

That is pretty cool, for some reason I would have never thought!!

ooh! thats WHY i like them so much! My dream is to have a Newfie!
th.gif

Well, let me just state that this show just lost a good part of it's legitimacy in my eyes.

It just stated that "some scientist believe that chihuahuas are descended from fennec fox instead of wolves"

Sorry, just because they look that different doesn't mean they are descended from a fox. Pretty sure that would make them a different species than the rest of the breeds! They wouldn't be able to breed with other dogs and produce fertile offspring, and I'm pretty darn sure they can and do! LMAO

Quote:
Dogs 101

If you watch it, take it with a grain of salt! Some things they state are just silly.
lol.png

Quote:
Hard to say ... and depends on what else their ancestors may have once been able to interbreed with. I don't know whether a modern fennec fox can interbreed with other sorts of canines, but it's probably not a true fox. I recall seeing some show that indicated they have less chromosomes than foxes.

... anyway, most domestic dogs originally descended from the jackal, whereas the German Shepherd Dog and various sled dog breeds have more wolf ancestry, and they're all "dogs" today.

So ... who knows? They might figure it out when scientists have finally gotten around to mapping every creature's every chromosome.

Interesting speculation.

It's not just Dogs 101.
When I was growing up in Alaska everyone claimed their dog was half wolf. I never saw so many chihuahua wolf crosses, mini poodle wolf crosses, etc.
lol.png

Imp- never saw a teacup yorkie wolf cross though.

I have heard the fox thing before!...
hide.gif

not about the little ankle biters though..about dogs in general..
now i gotta go search around..
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom