Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
I was just having a discussion with someone in another thread and it prompted me to post this. Before the conversion to the new website, the Learning Center was a place that articles containing good, correct information about keeping chickens were found. Staff would select the articles that they found worthy of being in there and move them over, and new members with questions could be directed there to read and learn.

All new articles had to be posted as member pages. If the articles were well-written, factually correct, and good quality, a staff member could move them into the Learning Center so that they were easy to find by people looking for information.

Since the conversion, this is no longer the case. Anyone can post in the Learning Center at any time. I took a look through just the Hatching Eggs and Raising Chickens section, and it's a little cluttered in there. For instance, in just a quick browse, I found that information regarding how to incubate or raise chicks has been buried by tons of posts about how to build various brooders and incubators. There are also a lot of articles in there that have nothing to do with the topic of that section - I found a Coop page that someone had written up about building their coop, a guide to training chickens to do tricks, an article on sexing chickens which might fit better in another section, and even what appears to be someone's personal journal about breeding. It's very hard to dig through all of that to find the info that you are looking for, and it might be overwhelming for a newbie who's just looking for some quick information.

Plus, since anyone can post anything they want in there, articles aren't getting fact checked before they are posted in the Learning Center. That means that incorrect info could be added and no one would catch it - so the Learning Center might not be a good tool for learning, because people could get bad information from it.

So would there be a way to go back to the system where all new articles are posted as member pages, and staff can move the ones they feel are a good fit into the Learning Center? And would it be possible to maybe clean it up a little and remove the things that are already in there that don't really belong?

@Nifty-Chicken

I agree...And being a bit new here, I have been hesitant to link articles from the learning center because I have to read through so many to find something factual. Takes a bit more time than I have more often than not.
Unless I find an article by someone I know here, I end up having to ask someone I know if they can recommend one. It's frustrating.

Regarding quality control / review: We're working on a few ideas for this and will keep y'all posted!

Regarding organization. Here's the current category hierarchy of our Articles:

upload_2017-11-13_11-31-37.png

As was pointed out, "incubator & brooders" and "feeders & waterers" are all sub-categories of the main sections. Unfortunately, if someone is trying to ONLY look at articles within the parent sections, there isn't a way to do this.

Proposed Solution: Move "incubator & brooders" and "feeders & waterers" to be "siblings" of the other categories and not children of them. This is by far the easiest / quickest solution.

This is also in-line with an idea @sumi @KikisGirls, and @casportpony have been discussing around increasing the # of categories to break-out the Learning Center a bit more (e.g., splitting "Maintaining a healthy flock" into a few different categories).

Thoughts?

Thinking still some rather broad categories.

'Hatching Eggs' and 'Raising Chick(en)s' really should be separate.
Am assuming that is meant to be Raising Chicks not Chickens.

'Housing' and 'Feeding Your Flock' should really be separate.
There's all the different sized coop categories,
but 'Housing' could be a separate category covering nests, roosts, poop boards, etc....
...or maybe even separate categories of their own.

'Incubators' and 'Brooders' could be separated.
'Feeders' and 'Waterers' could be separated.

I know, I know, maybe too detailed...or overzealous about things being 'where they belong'...but in searching for info, or browsing, I don't want to scroll thru disparate items looking for what I really want to learn about.

Something specific you are looking for?
I will find it for you.
A week or so ago I was looking for a reputable one on incubating, start to finish. Not knowing which to link I ended up asking Ravyn to join the conversation and she gave all the advice needed at the time. And while I know everyone is always willing to help I'd rather be able to find the answers myself and not have to bother others needlessly...

Wow, what a fantastic thread!! :bow

Now that the dust has mostly settled on the conversion, we're turning a lot of our attention to the Articles section of BYC. This includes 2 high level objectives:
  1. Create clear organization and hierarchy
  2. Curate and promote the best (and most accurate) content / articles.
These are both very important, but also very challenging goals, and we're going to rely a lot on our community to help us create a perfected Learning Center!

So, let's keep the ideas and feedback coming that will help us reach those goals... and if you want to help / volunteer to apply some of the suggestions, let us know, we're always looking for helpers / volunteers!

Ok, imma gonna dive into a few of the items posted in this thread:
the Learning Center was a place that articles containing good, correct information about keeping chickens were found. Staff would select the articles that they found worthy of being in there and move them over, and new members with questions could be directed there to read and learn.
YES! We're definitely open to cleaning up the Learning Center and making sure it's meeting the goals above. We originally thought that having the "best" articles show up in the top of each section would be a good way to demarcate the various quality of articles. That said, we're talking about adjusting our process to be more similar to what it was before. It's just tricky to know where to draw the line for content submitted into the LC.

I took a look through just the Hatching Eggs and Raising Chickens section, and it's a little cluttered in there. For instance, in just a quick browse, I found that information regarding how to incubate or raise chicks has been buried by tons of posts about how to build various brooders and incubators.
Ok, so let me make sure I understand:

when going here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/hatching-eggs-raising-chickens.22/

... there's no way to ONLY show hatching / raising articles WITHOUT seeing Incubators & Brooders ?

That's a valid issue and we can change the hierarchy of that section so topic articles are separate from build articles.

This same issue probably applies to other categories too, like Housing & Feeding Your Flock, no?

So would there be a way to go back to the system where all new articles are posted as member pages, and staff can move the ones they feel are a good fit into the Learning Center? And would it be possible to maybe clean it up a little and remove the things that are already in there that don't really belong?

Yes and Yes! :) We just need to make sure we're making it very easy for peeps to create great articles and get those articles placed into the correct sections properly. We were trying to reduce the # of amazing articles that were buried and lost in the Member Pages section.

would it be possible to get a separate section for all the incubator and brooder DIYs?
Yup, we should definitely figure this out for this section and the others! In the past, homemade incubators, brooders, waterers, feeders, etc. were all under the coops section. We'll need to figure out how to organize this stuff in a way that articles aren't buried under build articles.

Again, thanks for all the great feedback! Let's all work together to get the BYC Learning Center perfected before the next Spring rush!!!!

:woot

Proposed Solution: Move "incubator & brooders" and "feeders & waterers" to be "siblings" of the other categories and not children of them. This is by far the easiest / quickest solution.
Eggcellent....

By the way the selective quote is by far my favorite feature of the new platform.

Back
Top Bottom