Learning to free range with different ages

MountainMomma359

Songster
Apr 14, 2022
How would you go about starting to let chicks run around the yard if you were in my situation? I have 4 chicks: 2 are 7 weeks, 1 is probably more like 6 weeks, and the last is about a month. They are currently in the run for the day but I want to start letting them run around my fenced in back yard soon (6 foot privacy fence) but I'm a little scared to let the tiniest one out. The oldest 2 I've had longer and added the younger 2 recently, so they also aren't as used to me. Should I just let the oldest 2 start for a bit until the younger 2 catch up a bit? Or will they likely follow them back in?

How would you go about starting to let chicks run around the yard if you were in my situation? I have 4 chicks: 2 are 7 weeks, 1 is probably more like 6 weeks, and the last is about a month. They are currently in the run for the day but I want to start letting them run around my fenced in back yard soon (6 foot privacy fence) but I'm a little scared to let the tiniest one out. The oldest 2 I've had longer and added the younger 2 recently, so they also aren't as used to me. Should I just let the oldest 2 start for a bit until the younger 2 catch up a bit? Or will they likely follow them back in?
I usally let them out for the last hour before sunset while I am out side. So they learn that the coop is where you go amd worst case scenario I grab them where every they decide to roost and put them back . Then oonce they get the hang of it I let out a hour earlier each time they go to the coop....also helps to keep food and water In or by coop

Back
Top Bottom