Learning to sew with machine, need advice!

Quote:
Oh no, my mom told me the same, she sewed right through her fingernail ouch!!!

My grandma got me started when I was just a little twig. I still remember the machine that sewed my thumb! OUCH!!!
rant.gif

I too taught myself when my kids were little because I wanted to make them clothes, blankets and quilts. I don't sew over pins anymore after breaking a few needles and having missing pieces. For sharp curves I also leave the needle down, lift the foot and rotate the fabric before putting the foot back down and continuing to sew. Slight curves I tend to just guide the fabric slowly. It really is trial and error. Once you can successfully thread the machine, refill/change the bobbin and sew a straight line you're all set. The rest will come in parts. This is the worst time of year for me to go to the fabric store as all the summery prints are out and I get crazy visions of matching Easter outfits without leaving an adequate amount of time to sew such things! One idea I've had though is to save a bit of extra fabric from each item I've made my kids. Someday I plan to make myself a scrap quilt with all the bits of memories. Good luck!

Scoop has a good point about taking out the pins before you run over them, take it slow, have patience, and it will come... I agree seeing it done on YouTube will get you there quicker also. Sewing for your kids if great, good luck!

Needles break. Things go flying. It's just gonna happen. Was told once that needles are for all intents and purposes "single use" IDEALLY. Not that I have EVER used a needle for one project and then disposed of it. But I have learned that when the machine starts making a clunking noise every time the needle strikes the fabric, it means it's time to retire the needle to "emergency use only". That said, I still mostly use the needle till I break it. All that aside.....

What project did you pick for your first sewing adventure? What problems are you having?

Quote:
I am going to make my daughter the simplicity bunny from pattern 7044, I'm nervous, I'm trying to get it donee for her Easter basket... Wish me luck lol

Although I have already made 4 pillows and one of them is a big heart shape
big_smile.png
to practice my curves. I'm not really having any problems now but I'm sure I will when I start the rabbit, just waiting on my pattern to arrive(overseas, had to order it) but it's the same rabbit that my mother made for me over 22 years ago!

Back
Top Bottom