Leash training

Get them toys that are chew friendly kong toys...they need a release for that energy..often times boredom is what leads to chewing and digging

They have a lot of toys. I think it has to do with play? They'll pick up a shoe and tease each other with it. It might be boredom. I'm finding it hard to train two puppies, so they might not be getting enough mental exercise. Sigh

Border collie and BC mixes are not your average dog in my opinion. They are extremely, extremely intelligent dogs. Bred to work and be independent thinkers, they need activity, and lots of it, and do best when they have a job or sport they are active in daily. Left to their own devices they get bored very quickly and so yes, they will find ways to entertain themselves.

I have a BC mix and she is far and away the smartest little dog I've ever had, that little brain is fast! She's a ranch dog so she's on the go most of the day but at the end of the day she's still ready for a round of ball. She just never quits!

And yes, training two pup's at the same time is a big challenge. You need to work with each one separately each day, away from the other one. Lots of one on one time. When they have downtime outside put them in a secure area just for them with lot's of puppy safe things for them to play with. Teach them tricks, teach them to play ball, great way to burn off energy. Use lots of positive reinforcement. I have found these dogs to be very easy to train, they want to know what you want from them and they want to do it. The only correction I've had to use on my young one is a quick tug on the leash and/or a loud "psst" to get and redirect her attention. Older dogs may sometimes need a firmer correction but with pup's that's usually not the case.

Good luck with yours, they are very cute! If you are willing to really invest plenty of time in them in the next couple years you can turn out a couple of really nice dogs that you will really enjoy.

I totally agree, Border Collies rock. And I was aware and prepared for their intelligence and energy. What I wasn't prepared for was TWO puppies. They get a lot of physical exercise, but I'm finding it hard to give them the mental exercise they need. I've had them for a month and all they know is sit and down! Though I'm pretty sure part of it has to do with them being outdoor puppies :( not my choice): I was having trouble coming up with a schedule for training, but my sister really helped me out there, so I'm hoping things will take a turn for the better.

Last edited:
Be careful not to give them too much physical exercise, pups can have too much which will lead to future structural problems, my BC needs exercise and mental stimulation but as much as anything she wants to be with me, I have had a couple of days at home with a bad back, she has been with me and has been as good as gold, I have never had a routine with her, so she doesn't expect anything at any given time except meal times which are fairly consistant, oh and a morning snooze on my bed when OH goes to work! She is generally relaxed and happy to be wherever I am
smile.png

They usually get about a one mile walk a day on our land in the morning, after breakfast. Everything is playing with me or just quick little walks where we practice walking together.

And I guess in a way they do get mental exercise because of the constant temptation/distraction of poultry

Question- Should I let my puppies fight for dominance between each other when I'm there? I am the dominant one over-all.

Question- Should I let my puppies fight for dominance between each other when I'm there? I am the dominant one over-all.

Yes, you should let them figure out their order. They need to establish this and your presence is a key factor in the dog ranking. He who gets the prize of affection from the human wins.

You should not play favorites nor try to even out our attention. The dogs will never have equal ranking and if you want peace in the house you should understand the ranking and help the dogs to accept their position. The dominant dog believes that she has the right to get affection from you. Hence, if try to distribute your affection equally, the dominant dogs will reprimand the lower ranking dog. Don't worry, you are the human and above their ranking schemes.

For example, when I come home I am greeted by the king and queen of the pack. In our house the girls and boys have separate rankings, hence we have an alpha male and female. These two dogs are allowed to come to the gate to greet me. The other dogs wait on the porch. Note, I’m not determining this behavior the a command or the like. If a stranger comes to the gate, all of the dogs rush the gate, not just the two alphas. So, here’s the trick. I pet the two alphas and talk nice to them, but I don’t pay much attention to the lower ranking dogs other than to say “Hi” to them by name. This is how the dogs want it. The alphas have gained the privilege of access to the powerful humans.

If I don’t respect or understanding the rank of the dogs, I set the lower ranking dogs up for a beating. I see this happen occasionally in our pack. If I pay too much attention to the bottom ranked dog (which I can’t help to do, he’s a good boy) and the middle ranked female witnesses this, she will lash out at the male when she gets a chance. She is basically letting him know where he sits in the pack; below her! For his part, the lower ranked dog is happy to just be in the pack and to not get bit on the face. He serves a usefully function in the pack, he supports the bottom of the ranking order and is chief whipping boy for our middle ranked female.

Also, you do need to not confuse the lower ranked dog by giving her a whole lot of special attention away from the other dog. This depends on the dog in question, but sometimes this encourages them to make a challenge in regards to their rank. That usually does work out well for the lower dog and a fight ensues.

I hope my observations and research help,

Jim

Well, that answered a lot of their behavior, but it also brought up a lot questions! Up for answering?

1. They don't seem to have a definite dominance status yet, though one comes out on top more often. Give the on that comes out on top attention?

2. Should I let them fight in my lap? If one is in my lap, the other has to be and it usually ends up in fights.

3. FOOD. and treats. Food is MINE, but in training if one doesn't listen, I'll move to the other and give them treats if they listen. Is that affection? Should I not give food to the lower dog first? Because that makes training a lot more complicated.

4. And how does affection work for the lower dogs?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom