Leaves in the run?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Noymira, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I've been researching this on BYC and getting many different answers.

I'd love to recycle some of the leaves from our Oak and Birch trees in the yard. I was thinking about putting them in the chicken run, which is all dirt. I'm hoping next spring to add some sand/gravel mix but until then thought the leaves could help with the wet factor and give the birds some entertainment. Some people say the leaves can be toxic to chickens, others say they've done it for years with no problems.

I know some people use them in their coop too, but I like pine shavings and they are cheap here, so I will go that route in the coop for winter.

Thoughts? Advice? Stories to share?

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I use leaves all the time!! My chickens love them. You don't even need to spread them they'll do it for you!! [​IMG]

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:x2, I dump a big pile in there and the girls all run to jump and play in the leaves like a bunch of little kids.

4. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    OK, definitely going to try this, should be fun to watch!

5. wilobrookfarms

wilobrookfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    I agree with everyone! I recently added leaves to my run, the hens went crazy!! I'm pretty treeless at our house, surrounded by pines. So I went to my parents house and raked their yard. They where happy, and my hens were too!!
    I'm going to do it every fall. I might even bag some extra's, and store them in the shed, to add more through out the winter.

6. Aves

Aves Out Of The Brooder

yes to leaves, we use them all the time!!

7. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my yes yes yes, definitely use leaves.

I use oak & maple leaves, bamboo leaves, and pine needles (some say pine straw), and pine cones too!

8. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    It's SO much fun to watch them play in the leaves! go for it! They'll have a ball and you will too watching them!

9. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    It's SO much fun to watch them play in the leaves! go for it! They'll have a ball and you will too watching them!

10. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Quote:x2, I dump a big pile in there and the girls all run to jump and play in the leaves like a bunch of little kids.

x3 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by