Leaving for the Weekend - update!

How big is their coop (at least 12 square feet)? How hot will it be during the day? Can you provide a small fan for extra ventilation? Can you absolutely secure that dog kennel to the coop opening so it canNOT be moved? Throw in a head of cabbage and a whole cantaloupe or such, scatter a good share of scratch grain on the floor, and they'll be perfectly entertained.
From the description of your setup, I'm more concerned about security from predators while you're away than I am about space and activity.
If it helps any to ease your worries, I have a flock of about 50 chickens. Their sleeping and nesting area in the coop is about 150 square feet (converted an old camper). When temps dip below 20-degrees with wind, I keep them locked inside. Longest stretch I had to do this was 9 days before the weather broke. They were just FINE.

It's airy but can be in full sun until about 3 pm or so when they get some shade from the garage.
Looks like it'll be mid-80's around when we leave, high 70's and 80's with showers and high 80's again the 2nd full day we're gone (we're in MN).

But what temperature does it get to in the coop itself? Especially with the pop door closed?

If it helps any to ease your worries, I have a flock of about 50 chickens. Their sleeping and nesting area in the coop is about 150 square feet (converted an old camper). When temps dip below 20-degrees with wind, I keep them locked inside. Longest stretch I had to do this was 9 days before the weather broke. They were just FINE.
I'm sure mine would be but they're young and get antsy if I don't let them out right away so I feel bad. Lil teens 😉

Back
Top Bottom