lee county florida

ellenwars

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2015
Hello, my name is Ellen and we are renting an apartment in Fort Myers Fl (Lee County). We are getting ready to look at homes and I was wondering if anyone knew if there was anywhere in Lee County where it is legal to have backyard chickens. We need to be somewhat close to downtown Fort Myers for work, hopefully not more than 45 minutes away. I did see some posts about Lee County, but nothing that was posted recently. I'd appreciate any help! We were thinking of possibly Alva or North Fort Myers, but it is very unclear if backyard chickens are
allowed in Lee County. Thank you!

Your best bet would be to contact the county itself and ask. "A legal opinion to the board says a chicken ordinance has to apply county-wide. People from Lehigh who want to raise chickens in their backyards are facing an uphill fight on legal and political fronts following refusal of Lee County commissioners to formally consider an ordinance that would let them do it.Sep 6, 2016" http://www.news-press.com/story/news/local/2016/09/06/chickens-low-county-pecking-order/89911170/
Basically from what I can find, you can NOT have chickens in Lee county FL. I suggest you look at other nearby counties.

Greetings and welcome to BYC. Sorry I had to pass on bad news. Unless you feel like joining up with the others who have attempted to get the county to change the law (and failed), you'd best look elsewhere... or forget owning chickens. :(

Anyway, hope it works out for you. Glad to have you with us. Browse around and make yourself at home.

Perhaps Collier county? collier.ifas.ufl.edu/Agriculture/Fact%20Sheet-%20Collier%20County%20Regulations%20for%20Backyard%20Poultry.pdf "In Collier County, keeping chickens is restricted to residents within Agricultural or Estates zoning districts (See section 2.03.01 of the Collier County Land Development Code). Within these zoning designations residents are allowed by County Code to keep poultry or fowl, with a maximum of twenty-five birds. Residents in any other zone may not keep poultry or fowl.
To confirm your zoning designation, you can reference Collier County’s interactive Zoning Map at: www.colliergov.net/index.aspx?page=992"

I looked for Glades, Hendry and Charlotte but couldn't find anything definitive. It appears there's an active group trying to "legalize" chickens in Charlotte, and that such groups in Hendry have been "shut down"... So you'de have to purchase an agricultural or estate zoned property in Collier to keep chickens legally.

Hello Ellen! Welcome to BYC!! It’s so nice to have you join us! welcome.gif

This video may help with learning how to navigate the new site.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask one of us. :)

Back
Top Bottom