Left only the head..

Cierrascoop

Songster
Sep 24, 2022
So I am stumped.
Something came in and attacked my chickens. Only took one but another I think had a heart attack or was in shock and made a full recovery.
Whatever it was left the head and a very small part of a wing. There was absolutely no blood or feathers aside from the wing. The head was cut off super clean, and it was an almost full grown barred rock hen.
I live in central PA.

My husband found her head around 4-5am and chased whatever it was out through the woods after seeing a pair of red reflective eyes in the woods. No telling if it was for sure what got her but he said he could only make out the silhouette which was big and fast. He lost it pretty fast and then it circled back in again (so it was rather stealthy)-he went after it again-and then it disappeared.
He was almost thinking it was a bobcat.
But I would assume a bobcat would take the whole bird?

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry for your loss. :hugs

Please post pics of your set up for modification suggestions.. a flock that can be gotten by a (suspected) bobcat is susceptible to much more than just that.. and it, whatever it was, WILL be back for more chicken dinner.. :(

Here is a comprehensive list or 2 of common chicken predators (you can rule out what's not in your area)..

https://poultry.extension.org/artic...gement-for-small-and-backyard-poultry-flocks/

https://ouroneacrefarm.com/2015/03/15/poultry-predator-identification-a-guide-to-tracks-and-sign/

Some things are just listed as families (first link) but not by individual species.. so like mink and fisher would probably be in the weasel family (or something like that).. In MY area.. we also have mountain lion (aka cougar, etc) and black bear.

You can rule somethings out like hawk due to time of day.. in addition to your description of hubby chasing something big.. and ground dwelling so also ruling out owl for this round.

Man raccoon are nasty creatures and brazen sometimes.. Their grabby paws is what gives them the reputation for ripping heads off and leaving bodies behind.. but that's when chicken wire or other fencing is involved and kinda the opposite of what you describe.. but I'm saying coon may not be as easily ruled out since no wire was involved??

Living in a wildlife area, myself (the PNW).. I choose to secure my animals (at night always, and SOMETIMES during the day if under heavy hawk load like during migration) instead of trapping and killing or hunting down everything that would stop by for an easy meal (and was also legal). It's been THEE #1 expense to keeping chickens and no easy feat.

I believe the reason you only lost one was because you caught it in progress.. and possibly not because that was the MO of the predator.

Most folks will suggest a game cam set up.. I suggest actual security like a metal security screen door if that's the main entrance.. or sandwiched half inch hardware cloth on every opening (highly recommended). Or an actual coop if one isn't already being used. (unsure if coming in just means into the yard/building/what)

Does your one that was in shock still have some mates to get on with?

Interesting side note.. I find a lot of dead rat halves (around the garden/pasture).. cleanly torn as you describe like precision cut. I never know if it was cats or raptors and I always wonder why half is still there. I wouldn't expect nature to be that "clean".

Regarding bobcat taking the whole bird.. sounds like it could have been eating the one you found the head and wing to first.. basically, whatever was going on, it wasn't done yet. Maybe it would have taken more whole birds. Just speculation and discussion.

Sorry I may have asked more questions than I gave answers.. but it's all in order to help you..

The predator is a symptom.. the cause is lack of security.. which will also address the predator issue.. in an IDEAL world anyways. I can't tell you how many times I got up in the middle of the night to go close the door I forgot to.. or check the auto door that never failed and yet I also never fully trusted. No rudeness meant here.. I guess the point is also that any security is still only as good as it's weakest link.. (usually human error :oops:) BUT STILL WE TRY!

Hope the rest continue to thrive! :fl

whatever is the predator, it's going off your property. wether you kill it yourself, or ask the game wardens to kill it, or you trap it and bring it to the woods where it belongs, you have to get rid of it. is this it's first kill of your flock? 'cause it will definately not be the last until you do something with it!

Blue eyed cats will appear red at night or with the flash of a camera.
Here's a chart that might help:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 17-48-56 Identifying Animal Eyes at Night With Eye Shine Chart.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-25 at 17-48-56 Identifying Animal Eyes at Night With Eye Shine Chart.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
whatever is the predator, it's going off your property. wether you kill it yourself, or ask the game wardens to kill it, or you trap it and bring it to the woods where it belongs, you have to get rid of it. is this it's first kill of your flock? 'cause it will definately not be the last until you do something with it!
Oh I agree. My husband traps (both live and otherwise) so I would like to try to live trap it. Possibly easier said then done depending on what it is. If not, we may have to call in the game commission. I would really just like to know what it is since we have kids, three of which are 5 and under. They don't go out alone but I don't enjoy feeling uneasy on my own property to this extent when outside with them. This isn't my first flock. But it is my first flock that I've had any issues with regarding predators. Well-aside from a loose neighborhood dog once on another property a few years back.

Oh I agree. My husband traps (both live and otherwise) so I would like to try to live trap it. Possibly easier said then done depending on what it is. If not, we may have to call in the game commission. I would really just like to know what it is since we have kids, three of which are 5 and under. They don't go out alone but I don't enjoy feeling uneasy on my own property to this extent when outside with them. This isn't my first flock. But it is my first flock that I've had any issues with regarding predators. Well-aside from a loose neighborhood dog once on another property a few years back.
ooh boy! looks like there CAN NOT be any predator in your yard! how big are your hens? any fatter than 8lbs, and obviously the predator is big enough to attack your children.

Blue eyed cats will appear red at night or with the flash of a camera.
Here's a chart that might help:
This is great info! From this chart-the only thing that would really make any sense is a fox
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry for your loss. :hugs

Please post pics of your set up for modification suggestions.. a flock that can be gotten by a (suspected) bobcat is susceptible to much more than just that.. and it, whatever it was, WILL be back for more chicken dinner.. :(

Here is a comprehensive list or 2 of common chicken predators (you can rule out what's not in your area)..

https://poultry.extension.org/artic...gement-for-small-and-backyard-poultry-flocks/

https://ouroneacrefarm.com/2015/03/15/poultry-predator-identification-a-guide-to-tracks-and-sign/

Some things are just listed as families (first link) but not by individual species.. so like mink and fisher would probably be in the weasel family (or something like that).. In MY area.. we also have mountain lion (aka cougar, etc) and black bear.

You can rule somethings out like hawk due to time of day.. in addition to your description of hubby chasing something big.. and ground dwelling so also ruling out owl for this round.

Man raccoon are nasty creatures and brazen sometimes.. Their grabby paws is what gives them the reputation for ripping heads off and leaving bodies behind.. but that's when chicken wire or other fencing is involved and kinda the opposite of what you describe.. but I'm saying coon may not be as easily ruled out since no wire was involved??

Living in a wildlife area, myself (the PNW).. I choose to secure my animals (at night always, and SOMETIMES during the day if under heavy hawk load like during migration) instead of trapping and killing or hunting down everything that would stop by for an easy meal (and was also legal). It's been THEE #1 expense to keeping chickens and no easy feat.

I believe the reason you only lost one was because you caught it in progress.. and possibly not because that was the MO of the predator.

Most folks will suggest a game cam set up.. I suggest actual security like a metal security screen door if that's the main entrance.. or sandwiched half inch hardware cloth on every opening (highly recommended). Or an actual coop if one isn't already being used. (unsure if coming in just means into the yard/building/what)

Does your one that was in shock still have some mates to get on with?

Interesting side note.. I find a lot of dead rat halves (around the garden/pasture).. cleanly torn as you describe like precision cut. I never know if it was cats or raptors and I always wonder why half is still there. I wouldn't expect nature to be that "clean".

Regarding bobcat taking the whole bird.. sounds like it could have been eating the one you found the head and wing to first.. basically, whatever was going on, it wasn't done yet. Maybe it would have taken more whole birds. Just speculation and discussion.

Sorry I may have asked more questions than I gave answers.. but it's all in order to help you..

The predator is a symptom.. the cause is lack of security.. which will also address the predator issue.. in an IDEAL world anyways. I can't tell you how many times I got up in the middle of the night to go close the door I forgot to.. or check the auto door that never failed and yet I also never fully trusted. No rudeness meant here.. I guess the point is also that any security is still only as good as it's weakest link.. (usually human error :oops:) BUT STILL WE TRY!

Hope the rest continue to thrive! :fl
Thank you so much for the reply! It's full of much helpful information. And yes it was unfortunately human error in this case. I've never had any kind of issues with predators but now that I know they are there I'm a bit nervous for my others since my hens generally go in around 7:30. Since they know they are there now I just worry it may come back a bit earlier. Mine free roam my property during the day and at night they go to an elevated (four ft off the ground) coop which leads into the loft of the husbands very lqrge detached garage (they can't get to the bottom half-the top half was made into a chicken area lol). The coop and loft themselves are predator proof but I have-well had-two hens that are afraid of heights 😩 odd I know lol. But one is a silkie so she can't really fly at all. And my barred rock hen-well I honestly have no idea why but she had never liked heights or flying. Her sisters do. But she would roost ground level with my silkie. Ground level meaning in the coop or loft. Well she did anyway. But their board to enter the coop had fallen during a storm and i had no idea. Those two won't go in without it. And the husband apparently somehow didn't see them under the coop. I'm assuming that's where they were anyway since that's where Starr, my silkie was collapsed. And not far from it was Henrietta's head.

So as long as they are cooped up properly at night I don't see an issue. But I do worry that it may now try to come out a bit earlier now that it is aware they are there.
I am also a bit concerned for my kids if it is a large predator. I have three that are five and under. My youngest is a month so I don't have much to worry about there right now but if my other two and my oldest two are out playing-depending on what it is-it does make me feel a bit wary now. I may just invest in a privacy fence and hope it's not too desperate to dig or climb lol
But yes Starr does have four other hens with her still. And I will possibly be getting 2-3 more in a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom