Left Out Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mgarrett, Apr 17, 2012.

1. mgarrett

mgarrett Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Tennessee
    I am new to the world of raising my own backyard chickens, and will probably have about 100 questions.

I have 2 Buff Orpingtons and 1 SLW pullets that I bought at my
    local farmer's co-op. I'm pretty sure they're about 3 weeks old. The problem is that the 2 Orpingtons seem to be very friendly with one another- always cuddled together, eating at the same time, etc; however, the SLW seems to be the "outcast." Every time I go to check on them/play with them the two Orpingtons are together and the SLW is perching on the side of the box or in an opposite corner by herself. I'm wondering if this is normal and if there's anything I can do to help her not be all alone?

Thanks!

2. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    chicks cannot be lonely, why dont you get her another SLW? What is the exact age of the SLW and the BOs? because if the BOs are older, then that might be the problem

3. mgarrett

Apr 14, 2012
    Tennessee
    Well, the coop I have is really only designed for 3 hens as it only has room 3 nesting boxes- so getting a 4th is really a last resort. The employees at the co-op told me they were all "around 2 weeks old" when I got them (so close to 3 weeks now if that was accurate, which according to pictures seems to be pretty close).

I'm wondering if it's because the SLW really just enjoys perching more than the other two as she definitely seems a little more flighty than the Orpingtons (but also, so far, more personable). I will consider getting a 4th and try to make adjustments if it seems necessary as I definitely don't want a lonesome hen, but any other options would be great to hear as well. Thanks!

4. yakibert

yakibert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Whidbey Island, Wa
    You don't need a nesting box per chicken. They'll share nesting boxes. Not trying to persuade you, just fyi.

5. Melinda35

Melinda35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Texas
    You don't have to have a nesting box for each hen. They will share when it comes time for them to lay. You do need to make sure that you have at least 4 sq feet per bird for living quarters.

6. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    You won't need 3 nesting boxes with 3-4 chickens. They will all probably use one or two at most. They usually will sleep on a roost, not in the nesting boxes.

7. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    Dont worry. Coops just say that it APPROX. fits 3 hens. A man has 28 hens and 8 nesting boxes. They rotate each other. My coop is designed for 4 and we have about 5. WITH 2 NESTING BOXES. so, it would be okay.

8. mgarrett

Apr 14, 2012
    Tennessee
    Told you I was a newbie! Learn something new every day. I guess even though there are enough nesting boxes I'd be concerned there isn't enough living space for more than 3. Definitely not big enough for more than 3 at 4 sq. ft. per hen. I'm going to attach a picture and let you see exactly what I'm working with, so you all can tell me what you think. This is it unfinished I just don't have a newer pic on hand. Obviously the back isn't attached at this point, so no worries they will be covered securely. The roof is also just laying on top at this point but will be slanted to account for water drainage. Above those dividers is a board and perch, but I still don't know that it's enough room. Any advice welcome! Thanks :)

[​IMG]

9. Melinda35

Melinda35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Texas
    Looks big enough for four but what are the dimensions?

10. mgarrett

Apr 14, 2012
    Tennessee
    The dimensions are 3 feet across and about 3.5 feet tall. There are two separate levels, and those dividers can be easily removed (they slide in and out), but I'm just worried it isn't big enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by